DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently have revived some info about making my 04 Intrepid SE and one of the things mentioned was the PCV valve should be replaced every year. Thing is I’m not sure where it is or if it’s easy to get to/change. Any info would be a great help!

·
Woober Goobers!
52,010 Posts
The PCV is screwed into the back of the upper plenum. The upper plenum is the top piece you see on the engine. Try a little searching. Even google will give you that info easily.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The PCV is screwed into the back of the upper plenum. The upper plenum is the top piece you see on the engine. Try a little searching. Even google will give you that info easily.
Thank you! I wasn't sure if it was even on google or anything because most things aren't for these cars. Appreciate the info! Also since the part is like $11, I might just change it just to be safe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you! I wasn't sure if it was even on google or anything because most things aren't for these cars. Appreciate the info! Also since the part is like $11, I might just change it just to be safe.
Make sure to have some pliers and twist the hose off cause it'll be on there pretty tight. I'm a newbie and I used a flathead like a clown and tore the hose a little. It's still good but I wish I knew better

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
Make sure to have some pliers and twist the hose off cause it'll be on there pretty tight. I'm a newbie and I used a flathead like a clown and tore the hose a little. It's still good but I wish I knew better
The PCV hoses should be replaced periodically, as they get hard and brittle with age.

Below is a tip from an earlier post to save a good bit of money by adapting the 3.2/3.5 PCV hose without heat exchanger to fit the 2.7 with heat exchanger. You should also get the crankcase breather hose (connects from the passenger side valve cover to the intake tube) as it also gets hard and brittle. It is also an important part of the PCV system. The 3.2/3.5 PCV hose is shown as available on Amazon and ebay (search on the part number with and without the leading zero) and at this dealer: 4663961 - Genuine Mopar Tube-Cylinder Head To Intake Man

"Chrysler still sells the breather hose - inexpensive, but the only way they sell the main PCV hose for the 2.7 is with the heat exchanger - which is expensive (well north of $100). If you don't have the heat exchanger, you might consider getting it, but if your car already has it, you can save some money and buy the PCV hose for the 3.2/3.5 without the heat exchanger - it's still available, or at least was a year or so ago - around $12 or $15 last time I checked. I posted the Chrysler part number somewhere - ahh - found it: 4663961 (AKA 04663961). If you have the heat exchanger, cut the hose into three sections, discard the straight center section and use the two ends with the molded bends. I experimented with using aftermarket generic molded hoses, and nothing would fit right or hold up nearly as long as the Chrysler PCV hoses. Molded coolant hoses are made of the wrong materials to tolerate the fumes and hot oil residues of the PCV system - they turn to junk quickly."

Use a 9mm or 3/4" wrench to R&R the PCV valve. Don't overtighten it or you'll crack the plenum - only tighten until moderately snug.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The PCV hoses should be replaced periodically, as they get hard and brittle with age.

Below is a tip from an earlier post to save a good bit of money by adapting the 3.2/3.5 PCV hose without heat exchanger to fit the 2.7 with heat exchanger. You should also get the crankcase breather hose (connects from the passenger side valve cover to the intake tube) as it also gets hard and brittle. It is also an important part of the PCV system. The 3.2/3.5 PCV hose is shown as available on Amazon and ebay (search on the part number with and without the leading zero) and at this dealer: 4663961 - Genuine Mopar Tube-Cylinder Head To Intake Man

"Chrysler still sells the breather hose - inexpensive, but the only way they sell the main PCV hose for the 2.7 is with the heat exchanger - which is expensive (well north of $100). If you don't have the heat exchanger, you might consider getting it, but if your car already has it, you can save some money and buy the PCV hose for the 3.2/3.5 without the heat exchanger - it's still available, or at least was a year or so ago - around $12 or $15 last time I checked. I posted the Chrysler part number somewhere - ahh - found it: 4663961 (AKA 04663961). If you have the heat exchanger, cut the hose into three sections, discard the straight center section and use the two ends with the molded bends. I experimented with using aftermarket generic molded hoses, and nothing would fit right or hold up nearly as long as the Chrysler PCV hoses. Molded coolant hoses are made of the wrong materials to tolerate the fumes and hot oil residues of the PCV system - they turn to junk quickly."

Use a 9mm or 3/4" wrench to R&R the PCV valve. Don't overtighten it or you'll crack the plenum - only tighten until moderately snug.
I have a 3.2. So how does that work when ordering parts from the dealer? Never done it and I'm surprised they still sell parts for an old car like the intrepid. Thanks for the advice. I wanted to replace the hose anyway since I tore it

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
I have a 3.2. So how does that work when ordering parts from the dealer? Never done it and I'm surprised they still sell parts for an old car like the intrepid. Thanks for the advice. I wanted to replace the hose anyway since I tore it
Order the same part number that I mentioned for the 3.2 w/o heat exchanger. Tell them the part number that you want rather than have them look up the "correct" number for your car (because the system will try to push the $100+ hose with heat exchanger rather than the $15-$25 hose that you can adapt). They may not be able to get it, which is why I mentioned Amazon and ebay and the dealer that claims to have it.

From looking up your earlier posts, it looks like you have a 2000 3.2, which may or may not have the heat exchanger since they added it at some unknown point in production between '99 and '01. My guess is that you have it, but that's not a certainty. You should also replace the crankcase breather hose since it is likely also hard and brittle, and therefore unreliable, by this time.

If you have the heat exchanger, you'll just cut up the single hose like I said. If you don't have the heat exchanger, there'll be no cutting, and you install the hose as is.

If you don't have the heat exchanger, you could instead get the other hose with heat exchanger to add it - it will have everything you need, but it will cost you $100+ because of the heat exchanger and its two coolant hoses. The heat exchanger adds heat to the crankcase fumes going thru the PCV hose and valve to prevent the caustic fumes from condensing out in colder weather and clogging them (the condensed fumes also have a tendency to soften and eat a hole in the hose at one of the bends).

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
NOTES:
• The below info. is believed to be accurate as of the date of this posting.
• In all cases, the part numbers can be listed with or without the leading zero (example: 04663961 is sometimes listed as 4663961). Many sites will recognize the number either way, but some sites will only recognize with the leading zero but not without the leading zero or vice-versa. So - to increase chances of finding all instances, search both ways. (On ebay searches, putting multiple numbers in parentheses, separate by commas, is a Boolean "OR" function - IOW, will find any number in the parentheses, IOW "Chrysler (04663961, 4663961)" will find occurrences of either part number and Chrysler in the listing.)
• Productive ways to search: Just plug the part number in your internet search engine of choice (with or without "Chrysler" - sometimes with Chrysler works better, sometimes without Chrysler works better). (Again, do separate searches with and without the leading zeroes.) There are a handful of Chrysler dealers that routinely come up in these searches that continue to list older or obsolete parts, and sometimes they stock them. Other places that sometimes have stock of older or even obsolete genuine Chrysler parts: Ebay, Amazon, Summit Racing, JEGS, & Rock Auto. You can search those sites individually, but they very often come up on general search engine searches - that's usually a good place to start. On ebay, it's best to stick with sellers who are actually Chrysler dealers, but there are some legit independent sellers on ebay brokering parts sold off by dealers - in those cases, it is advisable to limit yourself to those with thousands of sales and ratings in the very high 90's.
• If your car was produced before a certain date, it will not have the heat exchanger unless someone added it. You can easily add it by getting the PCV hose part number that includes the heat exchanger, and thereafter replenish just the hoses using the 04663691 splice method. PCV valve and hoses are less likely to clog, and hoses will last longer, with the heat exchanger.

PCV HOSES

04663961 - PCV hose listed for 3.2/3.5 w/o heat exchanger - still readily available.
Can be adapted (by cutting) to use with 2.7 and 3.2/3.5 with heat exchanger to save $100+ by re-using your existing heat exchanger and heat exchanger coolant hoses. (May not work for 2.7 w/o heat exchanger - I have not tried that to see if it can be successfully routed. Again, it definitely does work for 2.7 & 3.2/3.5 with heat exchanger and for 3.2/3.5 without heat exchanger.)

04792645AD - 3.2/3.5 with heat exchanger - heat exchanger generally runs price up to well over $100 (vs. $15 - $20 for 04663961 without heat exchanger). Though there have been a few instances of the heat exchanger rusting thru and leaking, that is rare, and probably due to poor cooling system maintenance. You're generally safe just to replace the PCV hoses using 04663961 for both 2.7 and 3.2/3.5. 04792645 AB and ...AC are earlier revisions of the same part - perfectly good to use.

04663792 - 2.7 without heat exchanger - appears to generally not be available.
Note: 04663961AB is later revision without heat exchanger. ...AC, ...AD, and ...AE may be with heat exchanger, but not certain of that. I do know that ...AF, ...AG, and ...AH are with heat exchanger - see next part.

04663792AH - 2.7 PCV hose with heat exchanger and heat exchanger coolant hoses - use if you want to add heat exchanger to 2.7. I see them on Amazon, ebay, and Rock Auto as well as some dealers (seeing it on ebay from one seller @$85). Note: You might find some 04663792AF or 04663792AG - previous revisions of the same part - perfectly good to use.

CRANKCASE BREATHER HOSES

4792256 - 3.2/3.5 crankcase breather hose

04591275 - 2.7 crankcase breather hose

04663712AC - 2.7 crankcase vent nipple

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.