DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. I'm just getting to know (the quirks of) my Intrepid. Especially the cooling system. I am no stranger to working on cars, just this one.

I am about to replace my radiator on my '04 with 2.7l engine. I have learned much about this cooling system from searching here and on youtube. Great "Info for 2.7 owners sticky". Very informative!
It looks like there is some stuff that must be accessed from underneath the car. I haven't had a good look around under there yet. Couple of dumb questions:

1. Should I put it up on ramps? (I'm doing this on a gravel driveway and my trolley jacks/jackstands don't work so good there) Not sure how much "underneath time" I am looking at.
2. I can't see the thermostat yet. Is it easier to get at from underneath? Or does the alternator have to come out? Or both? I know where it is located. Just haven't laid eyes on it.
3. Looks like the "conventional" way is to remove the fan(s) assembly first? One youtuber removed the radiator and fans together, but video did not show it.
4. Removing the driver's side headlight really helped to see in there and it was super easy (thanks Dodge). Any point in removing the other headlight?

I'll be doing a good flush then testing then replacing the t-stat along with lower hose (using cable tie to retain gasket). I already did upper hose and surge tank within the last year.

adTHANKSvance for any wisdom.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought I had posted this reply yesterday, but somehow did not.

Hi peva & JordanS, Thanks, good info. I considered saving the old tank but trashed it. It wasnt leaking but so dark i couldnt see through it. A friend who had an intrepid for many years said i should replace it. My coolant was bubbling in there. This stopped when i put a new cap on the tank.
The jacking/supporting tips are well taken. Will save some time and head scratching for sure. I never take chances on things you only get one chance at.

It seems i should take out the fan assembly first to gain clearance/visibility around the PITA screw/clamps that secure the fluid lines to the bottom of the rad.

I will get some fuel injection clamps. Good advice

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got back to this car and ran into a few snags. When installing new rad, the bolt that secures the power steering lines/clamp to the side of the radiator, the bolt fell into a black hole. Can anyone tell what size it is? I spent a long time looking for it, gonna get spares.

I was going to replace the lower radiator hose and T-Stat but the clamp on the T-Stat housing has the tabs facing upward. No way for me to get near that without the special cable actuated clamp removal tool. I'll defer this job and the tool for later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts