DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2.7 which had the oil light flickering, which turned into something much worse (although I believe I am one of the few that is actually getting Chrysler to change the engine under warranty).

Chrysler is changing the engine, and by that I mean they ordered a short block, and will be swapping over the parts from the old engine. I have some questions about chaning some parts or having some other preventative maintenance done, since they are "in the neigborhood". They are definately changing the oil pump, timing chain guides, and any other item that doesn't pass inspection.

1. Should the heads be milled?
2. Should the timing chain be replaced?
3. Should water pump be changed?
4. Should I have spark plugs changed?
5. Should I have any sensors (O2, etc.) changed?

Any other suggested parts that I should have changed?

·
Registered
752 Posts
no need to mill the heads unless they are warped. new timing chain? yes! water pump? yes! plugs? yes. O2 sensors? depends on the mileage. they can start to get lazy with higher miles, but you're also lookin at 200+ for all 4. the upstream ones are the most important ones - as they are the ones that set the fuel mixture. the downstream ones validate that the cats are still working

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
1. Should the heads be milled? Should not be necessary, unless they're warped.
2. Should the timing chain be replaced? Absolutely, along with the tensioner!!
3. Should water pump be changed? Absolutely!!
4. Should I have spark plugs changed? Yes.
5. Should I have any sensors (O2, etc.) changed? As mentioned above, it depends on the mileage. I would change them, but that's just me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alleycat said:
no need to mill the heads unless they are warped. new timing chain? yes! water pump? yes! plugs? yes. O2 sensors? depends on the mileage. they can start to get lazy with higher miles, but you're also lookin at 200+ for all 4. the upstream ones are the most important ones - as they are the ones that set the fuel mixture. the downstream ones validate that the cats are still working
How hard is it to change the O2 sensors. I mean do I really need to pay the dealer to do this, just because he was in the area? Or is it really hard to do with the engine in the car?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:
Well, I finally got my car back from the dealer after the engine change (it was actually done about a week ago, but I was on vacation). While they were in the neighborhood, I had them change the timing chains, sprockets, guides, and water pump, in addition to the new oil pan and oil pump. No labor charge for any of it and warranty covered the block and oil pump. When all was said and done, it still cost me $1600, so it wasn't cheap, but it could have been a lot worse.

This was a new block. Has there been any improvements from a 2001 version and a 2006(?) version? In other words, will there be the same or similar issues a couple years down the road?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts