DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched from a 2.7 to a 3.2 in my 01 intrepid. The doner was a 99 and I took engine , trans, all accessories, rad, pipes and ECUs. I had the dealer put my SKIM code in the 3.2 PCM and the car ran great til I needed air. I had to switch back to the 2.7 PCM to get the air to go on (guess the 99 had ATC and the 01 has manual). Thats when things got really interesting. The car ran nicer with the 2.7 PCM once underway and had more snap but uses more gas, seeks a bit for idle speed when running, revs up for a split second when shifted to park and revs high (2000+) on start up. Also on initial start up it will shut down for about 30 sec. if not fully warmed before travelling. Shut down is at 3/4 operating temperature. Is the steering pressure switch circuit missing on the 3.2 causing the 2.7 PCM to mess up. Can the 3.2 PCM be made to recognize the manual temp control A/C. Also the 99 3.2 car didnt have a leak detection solenoid, is this the trouble, Is the 2.7 PCM having trouble with the 3.2 transmission ECU. Help.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,694 Posts
You should have left your ecms alone when you did the swap. You also should have left the original 2.7 transmission in the car-- (better gears). Changing them as you did usually causes more harm then good. I would re-install any original 2.7 ecms that you replaced. The must all match the car. The power steering switch circuit will need to be fixed. You just have to install the power steering switch on your 3.2 or ground the wire to the engine block. There may be a fault in your original 2.7 ecu that was pre-existing. I havent seen that many problems with one of these swaps, so unless there is something wrong with that engine, I would ship the computer in and have it checked out. To my knowledge all vehicles had the leak detection system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info 32 intrepid. I will try the trans ECU for the 2.7. I still have the original 2.7, where do I find the power steering switch and where do I transplant it to on the 3.2. Also the doner car was a 1999 Canadian car and there was no leak detection plumbing at all, car or motor. The EVAP diagram only displayed two lines on the 1999, fuel and purge. When the auto wrecker supplied the engine they just cut the car across the floor and A post and sent me the whole thing less the hood. I had to T the leak detection line onto the 3.2. I want the long gear ratios for highway cruising. The car ran faultless with the 3.2 engine ECU especially the mileage. I put 10,000 kms on it in four months. The only problem was the air and the 2.7 ECU corrected the air but gave me other problems and so far a noticable mileage decrease. Also I had not air fault codes with the 3.2 ECU and not engine fault codes with the 2.7 ECU even if I check it as soon as I get the shut down car off the road. Interesting eh!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts