DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 SE and looking to swap the 2.7L VIN R to a 3.5L. My questions are:
  1. Are there any issues with this kind of swap?
  2. Are there any modifications needed such as wireing harness?
  3. Can the intake manifold be swapped out for a carb?
  4. If the swap is doable, is there a recomended turbo charger?
  5. Lastly, since my 2.7L is a VIN R what VIN code I should look for when purchasing a 3.5L?
Thank you for your help and suggestions! Happy new year!

~Michael

·
Registered
52 Posts
1. As long as you get an engine from a similar vintage (98-01 are ecm/tcm combo and 01-04 are one pcm) donor it should be a straight swap.

2. Harness is plug and play, as long as you have the complete harness from the donor as well.

3. I am unaware at this time of a carb manifold being available that fits the 3.5L.

4. I don't believe there is a 'recommended' turbocharger, any turbo work is 'on your own' as there are no off the shelf parts available for adding a turbo to these cars (save for most peripherals for the fuel system)

5. I do not believe there is a VIN specific engine to look for to when purchasing a donor aside from model year.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree with intrepid_runner. I however do not know about a carburetor for the 3.5L V6. The 3.5L is fuel injected, so I don't know if a carburetor would even work. I haven't been able to find one either. If you ever find one, have fun trying to get it to fit.

·
Premium Member
17,114 Posts
(Obviosly, Intrepid-runner meant to say "...98-01 are ecm/tcm combo and 02-04 are one pcm...".) 👍

I did the opposite swap: Removed 3.2, installed 2.7.

First off, Dan (Daytrepper) literally wrote a (the) book on the 2.7-to-3.2 swap (I did the opposite of everything he said). :) If you ask him nicely, he may email it to you.

Here are some things from my swap that may be good for you to know:

(With the plans you apparently have (turbo, carb), some/most/all of my comments below may be moot.)

• The passenger side intermediate exhaust pipes of 2.7 and 3.2/3.5 are 1-1/2" difference in length (I forget which is longer - details are in Dan's book).

• The type of evap. system changed twice between '98 and '02 - and the wiring to the evap valving and the programming of the PCM is different. I had planned on moving the PCM with the engine, but ended up keeping the other PCM because there was no easy work-around to making the PCM from the other body (with different evap. system) work without throwing a code.

• Be aware that the gearing of the transaxle is different, so you'll have to figure out transmission/PCM/transfer gear set combination depending on if you want the higher gearing of the 2.7 and correct speedometer/odometer reading or not.

• 3.5 will have an MTV valve, 2.7 doesn't. Strangely, my 2.7 with 3.2 PCM combo threw a code the first 2 times I started it because the PCM was looking for the MTV valve. Then, miraculously, it quit throwing the code - I guess it realized things had changed. Now - will the opposite happen going the other way if you keep the PCM with the body? IOW - are all PCMs programmed the same regarding MTV - i.e., will the PCM adapt either way as to whether there is an MTV valve present or not?

I don't know all the answers, but just giving you a heads up on some things you may have to deal with.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,728 Posts
Seems a few parts are no longer available for the swap new. I believe you're fooked on the A/C lines and a few other items. If you can't get them used in good condition....then good luck!

A carb? Seriously? Not going to happen.

And turbocharging depends on how much money you have and are willing to throw at it. There are NO off the shelf kits for this. All expensive fabrication.

Again...Good Luck!

Reactions: tgs

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,890 Posts
The swap is pretty straight forward, there are some parts changes that need to be made to adapt the 3.5 engine into the 2.7 car; nothing special, you just need the parts from a 3.5 car, simply put. It used to be able to be done with new parts, but several are now discontinued, so I would suggest getting what is still available new, and going to the junk yard for the rest.

Carburetor, not feasible; but anything is possible with enough money, time and material. Everything for that would have to be custom made. Makes no sense as the 3.5 fuel system will run perfectly, even on the 2.7 ECM; with only parts changing, no major modification.

Turbo, same as carburetor; not worth the time or investment IMO for the results you'd get. I'd look at the goals you are trying to achieve by doing that and if its a fast car, buy something else, LOL. If you want a fast Intrepid, install a Hemi; done right it would be a mean car---but that also, would be a ton of custom work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts