DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day or so! I've just finished up changing my water pump and putting back everything according to how it needs to be. I turned the car on and wallow it turns on and in about 2 min's I started to hear the tensioner slapping back and forth in it's place. Obviously it's not receiving oil as it should. Is it possible if I do a oil change for this to change the fact or am I stuck with having to buy a new tensioner. When I took it out I squeezed the oil out and and resprung it when it was installed so here I am looking for answers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thomasan09 My 01 intrepid did the same thing last Sunday. It does make a racket doesn't it? I'd already changed the water pump about 30K ago but I used the same tensioner of which didn't feel quite right when I exercised it back then. After taking the front apart again (much less stress than the first time) I concluded the tensioner got stuck in the collapsed position. But I couldn't be absolutely sure. I'm waiting for the new tensioner from an online source. I don't know how yours is but if your tensioner installs using a small two bolt "plate" I've noticed the oil channel to the tensioner is oriented in a way that if it's installed upside down the oil can't get to it. It's got a locating pin that only allows one position to install but I'm thinking it could be installed incorrectly because the bolts are long enough. But you'd probably have a serious oil leak. In any case it sounds like the tensioner failed somehow even though you "primed" and installed it correctly.

·
Premium Member
16,634 Posts
Is tensioner o-ring in place and in good condition?

Was the tensioner released from the compressed (latched) condition after the chain was installed?

Do not replace the tensioner with an aftermarket part. Use only the Chrysler dealer part. Lots of reports over the years on these forums of faulty aftermarket 2.7 tensioners.

('98 & '99 tensioner has a single large hex cap to retain tensioner. '00 and later has the two-bolt plate to retain tensioner. The two types of tensioner are not interchangeable.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts