DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I apologize if this is already in here, I reviewed all I could and did not find the answer to this question.

The general concensus is that synthetic oil should be used for a 2.7L engine for the obvious reasons. What I was not able to find out is how often the synthetic should be changed. I know with other engines that are not so sensitive that every so often oil changes are substituted for a new oil filter and a new litre or quart, what I don't know is the interval.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
If doing an oil change, change all the oil and the filter.

While you can increase the interval due to the superior quality of synthetic oils, most here (myself included) stick to the factory recommended 3000 miles.
Just changing a litre or the filter is not the smart thing to do. It may get you by, but you won't find any reputable manufacturer or technician who would recommend it.

I wouldn't.

Cheers

BJ:anon:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Yes, change both at the same time. Changing the oil and not the filter or changing the filter and not the oil still leaves dirty oil in the engine. Some oil companies like Amsoil say you can go 25,000 miles on their oils and jsut change the filter every so often. I don't know about you but 25,000 miles is an awfully long time. Up until this last oil change I've always used dino oil in my 2.7. And I've averaged about 3500 miles between changes. And have gone as far as 4100 miles. I do a lot of highway driving, which when compared to stop and go driving, highway is not as hard on the oil. So depending on your driving habits, you can extend you oil change intervals. And if you really want to get technical on how long you can go, you can get oil analysis testing done on your used oil and that'll give you a really good idea of how your engine's doing and how well your oil is holding up.

·
Banned
2,379 Posts
I used to run regular oil and switched over to synthetic about a month ago and it made a difference for me. I was advised to change it every 3k though instead of the 6k. I also noticed that my car runs so much better and doesn't have a problem it used to have since I switched. The mechanic also told me that I should stay with the regular as you "want" someone under the hood every 3k to check things out. I would have to agree with him but I will keep synthetic in as well as have the filter changed out as needed every 3-4k. :)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Not trying to high jack this thread figured since its on the topic of synthetic oil with the 2.7 i would be ok. when changing to synthetic oil do you have to flush the old stuff out or can you just change the oil as you normally would

·
Registered
753 Posts
you should do a flush.

cleans out all of the old oil, not a bad thing to do on a regular basis either.

I've been told to flush the engine every 12 months or so.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Well, I didn't. But you'll find many will tell you to flush it, some will tell you to gradually switch it over, and some (like I did) just dump in synthetic and go with it. I guess it depends on your maintenance habits. do yo change your oil often and regularly? What kind of driving do you do? My car gets driven, to the tune of an average of 17K miles a year, so I don't see sludge as an issue. But, if yours has been abused, or you're not sure about the previous owner's driving habits and maintenance (or lack thereof), then you may want to try the flush or gradual switch-over. So far (knock on wood) I haven't noticed anything to alarm me. I did notice some oil around the pan, but its not dripping in the driveway. so I think its been there for awhile, especially since some of it was drying up and getting crusty, just like old oil will do.

Reactions: Code2medic

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
All highway miles only 54k on i got it when it had 31k on it. oil is changed every 3k to 3500 and thats only if im out of town with the car and dont have the time. im thinking i might try just switching it over never had the probem in past with my other cars. plus if it does go oh well ill have to drop a 3.5 in there plus im under warranty still.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not trying to hijack or anything but I have a question that I gotta ask. If you were using syn and then your mech ends up putting dino in, would it be okay to just replace again with syn and new filter or is a flush definitely required there?

Thanks if someone cares to answer!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I am under the impression that there shouldn't be any issue going back and forth. These days, dino and synthetic are supposed to be fully compatible.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, in my opinion it depends on the car. I am sure that 3,000 mile interval is NOT! true for all cars because of the mileage!

Example..........my trep was a rental car. We all know how we all treat rental cars while driving. Like ****, like it is a racing car basically with disregard.

My car has 100,000 miles on it..........and believe me..........the car will not drive 3,000 miles without a oil change. From what I have heard, if u got a f***'d up 2.7 engine.........change the oil as often as you can. If you have a OK or bette 2.7 egine that isnt givnig you problems..........sure follow that interval notion.

by the way........my 2.7 is spitting up oil all the time through the breather hole.........its leaking through the oil pan bolt slowly among other things. My oil after 3 weeks the oil becomes black! ...... u know real dark as hell brown........ So again... I guess it depends on how healthy your engine is.

I do use synthetic though.

·
Registered
653 Posts
To stay on topic on how long to change synthetic, heres my method:

1.) If your engine has sludge, or you don't know the history of the engine, then go 1,500 miles with Mobil 1 oil/ PureOne filter.

2.) Next oil change, go 4,000 miles w/ Mobil 1 oil, but change your PureOne filter at 2,000 miles as it may have picked up something from the first oil change.

3.) After 4,000 miles of Mobil 1, change the oil/filter & go up to 5,000 miles with Mobil 1 oil/PureOne filter............and keep that interval.

That is the safest measure I can advice anyone on, and my engine is the quietest engine I've ever heard.

By the way, my 2.7L engine was nearly blown, and had to change everything from water pump, tensioner, timing chain, gaskets, oil pump, pickup tube....the works! All because of sludge.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks froggy! The mech changed the oil when he replaced the water pump but used dino instead. I've never done a flush on this car since I got it about a year ago. Just wondered if this might be a good time to do so. One good thing though is that the mech said the chain area was clean. So hopefully the other internal areas are okay too. When I changed to syn I did it just the way you did ... just put it in! I did a few short intervals between changes though (< 2K) before continuing with 3K intervals.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Communicator........... my engine sounds like a mustang............you thoughts? And before you changed all those things.........was it not as smoothe as it is now? Curious to know if I should change them all out or buy a new engine.

·
Registered
653 Posts
My car once belonged to Texas Highway Department.....meaning it was a fleet vehicle. So they intentionally ran my Intrepid without oil just so they can blow the motor & purchase new fleet cars.........talk about wasting our tax payer's money, right?

However my Intrepid luckily wasn't blown. But it sounded ugly. It was loud, but not like a Mustang or any of that. It didn't idle right, it overheated, it wasn't a good investment if I was planning on keeping it.

I bought 5 Intrepids with the intentions of restoring them, and selling them for profit. But I loved how smooth the Intrepid felt on the road, so I babied the one Intrepid with the lowest miles.........and now today I love my car.

I would first put in a fuel injector cleaner in your gas tank. Change your spark plugs. Clean your air filter. Make sure your muffler is in good shape or else replace it. Last, but not least, change your PCV & hose........it's a must!!!!!!!!!!
Go to O'Reillys Auto Store & purchase a new coolant cap..........it'll lower your engine temperture. My old one was bad, and kept making bubbling noises.

Put an engine flush in your engine, run it for 5 minutes. Then change it out & run a semi-synthetic oil with a PureOne filter. Drive it for 1,000 miles & then switch over to a Mobil 1 oil using 4 quarts of 10w-30 with 1 quart of 15w-50 Mobil 1. Again keep using the PureOne filter.

Run that sucker up to 2000 miles & change it again. This time your safe to go up to 5,000 miles. I know it's alot, but it's the only way.

But if you still think your car won't last like mine almost didn't last, then change the water pump, timing chain, gaskets, tensioner, oil pump, pickup tube, oil pan gasket & your good to go. But lets see if we can quiet your car a little first before investing in parts & labor.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
653 Posts
One last tip that is the cheapest & quickest route to take to quiet your engine...........buy some Rislone oil additive & dump it in your oil crankcase. That will help you out so much & then we can pinpoint the finer things.

Reactions: jctopthugsta

·
Registered
107 Posts
Communicator, I'm curious! Do you use this additive in your crankcase even with mobile 1? What benefits do you get from using it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Communicator7 said:
One last tip that is the cheapest & quickest route to take to quiet your engine...........buy some Rislone oil additive & dump it in your oil crankcase. That will help you out so much & then we can pinpoint the finer things.
Appreciate all the info and suggestions. Well done....well done

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Ok now that i saw to different answer yes flush no flush do you guys do you flushes or do you pay for them. whats the procedure to doing it steps material used so fourth

1 - 20 of 27 Posts