DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got the energy/ambition to complete this mod, as I have been wanting to do this for a year now.

All in all it wasn't too bad of a job, I took a novice/layman such as myself about 5 hours.

Worst part for sure was that damn rear transaxle crossmember, man that was a PITA, but it had to be removed.

Once I got the rear transaxle cover removed, I only lost about 1 quart of ATF, as I had the car up on 4 jack stands to keep it level and for more room.

Can't wait to get her out for more driving, I am curious to see what happens to fuel mileage.

The little bit I had her out she does feel snappier.

Big thanks to wb6vpm for the gears.
Here are some pics I snapped.

gears removed from the rear of the trans

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SilverSpecial said:
2.7 gears are fun ;) Your mileage shouldn't decrease unless your lead foot it alot more! Or You are driving a special and get about 15 mpg city like me :D

Congrats on the install! Also do your self a favor and get a tranny cooler next!
Know what you mean, I have had a heavy foot with it, since they are new!

Also the trans already has a cooler, Do you think it needs upgrading?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
so, how do they feel now that you've had them a little while?

i don't think I would worry about upgrading the trans cooler just because you have installed 3.89 gears. But an aux trans cooler is always a good idea for added insurance.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I sthere more top end?, or top speed?, Can any body help me on this mod to the 2-Gens?, I have a 2000 3.2L ES, W/Autostick!, Will this improve take off as well with AutoStick?. What did the 300m Special cars come with stock(gears). Any help would be greatly Appreciated guys!, ;)

~LUIE-LU~

·
Dain bramaged
7,329 Posts
luisa said:
I sthere more top end?, or top speed?, Can any body help me on this mod to the 2-Gens?, I have a 2000 3.2L ES, W/Autostick!, Will this improve take off as well with AutoStick?. What did the 300m Special cars come with stock(gears). Any help would be greatly Appreciated guys!, ;)

~LUIE-LU~
this will help get the car off the line better..

the SE gears are the same ratio as the 300m Special Gears..

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I put the aux. cooler in my 97 because the factory cooler didn't cut it, plus it helps prolong the life of the tranny, with the added fun of the 3.89, a little extra led in the foot adds a little bit more heat that just hurts the tranny... The first gen A606 like to run hot (or atleast mine did, and I didnt push it after the rebuild)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SilverSpecial said:
I put the aux. cooler in my 97 because the factory cooler didn't cut it, plus it helps prolong the life of the tranny, with the added fun of the 3.89, a little extra led in the foot adds a little bit more heat that just hurts the tranny... The first gen A606 like to run hot (or atleast mine did, and I didnt push it after the rebuild)
I guess I'll keep my eye on the operation, seem great so far!!

How much bigger was the aux cooler?

Sometimes I do wonder about the reliability of my trep if I needed to depend on it every day. But for the year I have had it it has been there for me every time, and it gets a helluva lot better gas mileage than my Ram. :)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I got a pretty large one. I kept the tranny nice and cool. I remember on a hot summer day I took it down to the shop to have it checked, and after driving around it was a moderate 99f... Nice temp! I kept my tranny going for a year until a seal went and I got the 2001 Concorde

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Neat project! I wouldnt have the guts to do that to my transmission (I dont get along with transmissions), but glad it worked out for you.

k-nash said:
Sometimes I do wonder about the reliability of my trep if I needed to depend on it every day. But for the year I have had it it has been there for me every time, and it gets a helluva lot better gas mileage than my Ram. :)
My Intrepid is my daily driver. Dispite the recent problems she's thrown at me, she starts every time, except the time when the alarm wouldnt let me, and when the fuel rail blew up. That was a bad month.

Your trep is too nice to be a daily driver. Better get another as a 'beater'.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Matt86 said:
Neat project! I wouldnt have the guts to do that to my transmission (I dont get along with transmissions), but glad it worked out for you.

My Intrepid is my daily driver. Dispite the recent problems she's thrown at me, she starts every time, except the time when the alarm wouldnt let me, and when the fuel rail blew up. That was a bad month.

Your trep is too nice to be a daily driver. Better get another as a 'beater'.
Thanks for the compliments!! :grinno: You know I am glad I can drive other vehicles and not the Trep all the time, but I find myself just wanting to drive it.

They are such good driving vehicles, far more comfortible than my other rides. ;)

G

·
Good Job!

Be proud of yourself!! :)
I got 3.89 (SE gearing/Special gearing) as a bonus when I swapped in a 2nd Gen. (2001 Intrepid) tranny into my 93 Concorde.
It's smoother, Autostick is firmer, car is definitely faster at jump-off start, passing on the highway no longer requires donwshifting, and 60-100mph speed and timing is amazing! I'll keep up with the stickshifts on the highway now, without downshifting.
MPGs should not be affected, as a matter of fact, at about 60 MPH, your RPM needle will be at 2000 RPMs, right in the beginning of the "most torque/power" curve. At cruise speed of 75MPH I get about 27-29 MPG all day. I proved to myself, that 3.89 gearing, in my 3.5L actually gives me BETTER mileage than the old low gearing.

Keep in mind that 7% speedometer error. When doing 64, It's actually 60 MPH. When speedo says 80, You're at 75mph, etc,etc... I know this for a fact now.

(Car was on the dyno, watched the state computer during inspection show 60 MPH, needle was at 65ish.)

·
Dain bramaged
7,329 Posts
ericcole said:
which transmissions came with teh 3:89 gears, and has anyone done this mod to a 3.3 equiped car yet?

I've personally done this/helped do this to two 3.3l cars.. *mine and my buddies*

and I'll tell ya, mine with SE gears vs buddys with standard gears.. i'd get him everytime..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.