DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to pull the valve covers on my 2.7 to do an inspection for sludge/varnish accumulation. I'm currently in the middle of my first cleaning procedure with Auto-Rx.

1) How long should I allow for the whole job, start to finish ? I realize the air intake system, throttle body and upper intake manifold have to removed before I can get at the valve covers.

2) Any tips, tricks or things to watch out for ?

Thanks in advance....Phil

2001 2.7 with 238,000 km (148K miles). Never been apart.

·
Registered
982 Posts
va3ux said:
I'd like to pull the valve covers on my 2.7 to do an inspection for sludge/varnish accumulation. I'm currently in the middle of my first cleaning procedure with Auto-Rx.

1) How long should I allow for the whole job, start to finish ? I realize the air intake system, throttle body and upper intake manifold have to removed before I can get at the valve covers.

2) Any tips, tricks or things to watch out for ?

Thanks in advance....Phil

2001 2.7 with 238,000 km (148K miles). Never been apart.
Should be able to get it all apart in a couple of hours or so.Maybe 3 hours more to clean and reassemble.

make sure to remove and re-torque the upper intake bolts in the correct sequence and that it is all the way seated before torquing back down, the upper manifold is plastic and warps and cracks easy.

There is a support bracket from the back of the block located under the throttle body that is hard to see, but has to come off.

The gaskets on the EGR tubes and between the upper and lower intake are silicone and can be reused- but you will avoid leaks if you use new ones.

If you coolant bleeder screw is leaking, like most do,now is a good time to replace it too.

When you put it back together make sure that the wire bundle located in front of the upper intake doesn't get pinched between the valve cover.

Make sure to run some solvent cleaner through the PCV valve and hose connections on the top of the covers and the intake to remove any gunk from these passages.Also Clean the gunk out of the EGR tubes.

Take a flashlight and look real close down the front of engine to see the timing chain tensioner wear pad condition and the tensioner extension and timing chain condition, also look around the valve springs for the condition of the seals.

Replace the valve cover gaskets and the spark plug tube gaskets

If you are going to pull the covers anyway I wouldn't put any solvent based cleaner in the oil until you see if it is necessary.

One thing to note: If the water pump and timing chain are still original might think about replacing them soon also. And there is a factory service manual posted on this site somewhere with instuctions for everything
Good luck and congrats on almost 150k trouble free miles !!

·
9,861 Posts
TB doesn't need to come off the plenum. You can either remove the throttle cables from it (just twist out), or just set the plenum off to the side and you should be able to access at least the passengers side valve cover.

It shouldn't be too hard of a process, and you shouldn't NEED any new gaskets that I can think of. Just don't crack that plenum.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lex and Hypnos - thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Phil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts