DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Yet another question!

I have found one or two methods on how to drop the oil pan, but nothing that seems fairly easy to tackle.

The FSM tells me to remove the stabilizer bar...what is the easiest way to do this? What happens if I remove the nuts at the link to the strut assembly?

I don't have access to a way to hoist the engine a little bit as I found in one method...so that won't help me.

It would seem that I could remove the bolts on either side of the stabilizer bar and then sort of rotate it backwards? Would that work?

Any other methods out there?

·
Premium Member
16,635 Posts
You don't need to remove the stabilizer bar, nor do you need to raise the engine to remove the 2.7 oil pan (you do need to raise the engine to remove the 3.2/3.5 oil pan).

You have two choices as far as what to do with the sway bar to clear the way to drop the oil pan: Either remove the sway bar end links from the bar and rotate the ends of the sway bar upward to pivot the part of the sway bar under the oil pan just enough rearward to allow the rear of the pan to clear the sway bar as you drop the pan *or* remove the 4 sway bar bushing bracket bolts and slide the sway bar and bushings/brackets rearward to accomplish the same thing.

One of the critical and slightly difficult parts of R&R'ing the oil pan is R&R'ing the two 6mm bolts that clamp the bottom of the timing cover to the front of the oil pan. The bolt heads (10mm) are awkward to reach to turn with a wrench, and it is easy to cross thread them when reinstalling, so don't be in a hurry when reinstalling them and be sure to get them started straight before turning them in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will follow Peva's directions. I'm not familiar with when Dodge made the change to the transverse engine mounting orientation to the Intrepid. I only know that's the reason the water pump is under the timing cover so they could shorten it. My 2001 points straight ahead but after being under there enough I'm thinking this procedure will work. I'll be sure to clean and spray the attaching hardware for the sway bar a couple hours before hand.
As always, Thank You Peva.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts