DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one and my friend has another one he said I could have...how much of a performance increase should I expect combining them? Would I just be better off buying a newer one?

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's SLi for nVidia cards. To answer your question, yes, I would recommend getting a new card. The 8800s in SLi will clock in around the 560 performance-wise, which is nVidia's mid-range card. Plus of course it will move you to a DX11 environment. The other problem is that some games have issues utilizing SLi fully, so in the worst case older titles may not see the card or even utilize a good portion of it - in that case it would be like you had a single card OC'd a bit.

When people ask about SLi/Crossfire I always say "make sure you have a powerful enough card that if the game didn't recognize the 2nd card at all, you'd be fine on the single", and I believe that's a very safe route.

Also, when you go SLi you need to make sure your motherboard supports it (two PCI-e slots), which if you have a PC built by a manufacturer is incredibly unlikely. Equally, you need to make sure your power supply supports it. While most aftermarket PSUs will support a single dedicated card, SLi is a different story - you need to make sure you have 4 6-pin PCI-e connections, that the wattage is high enough (and consistent enough), and in particular (what many people forget about that) that the ampage on the 12v rail is good enough to handle both.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for the info, yea I know the 8800GT's are old now but at the time I got it it was the most bang for the buck. Any recommendations on a new vid card (preferably under $200)?

·
Registered
552 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts