DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a 2000 Intrepid with the 2.7 and 137k miles. The motor runs good and has no noise, but after it gets up to normal operating temp the oil light comes on and stays on. The motor remains quiet, no lifter noise or rods knocking. I know the 2.7's have a TSB on the oil sensor so I removed it and placed a mechanical one on the motor. When you start the car cold it has about 70psi, after about 15 minutes it drops to around 5 psi. If you then turn the car off and back on after about a minute, the pressure starts at around 50psi and drops to around 5psi within 5 minutes. Anyway, I'm just wondering if it's too late for an engine flush to help or if this would be my best bet? Thanks for any help,

·
Registered
982 Posts
ML190 said:
Just bought a 2000 Intrepid with the 2.7 and 137k miles. The motor runs good and has no noise, but after it gets up to normal operating temp the oil light comes on and stays on. The motor remains quiet, no lifter noise or rods knocking. I know the 2.7's have a TSB on the oil sensor so I removed it and placed a mechanical one on the motor. When you start the car cold it has about 70psi, after about 10 minutes it drops to around 15 psi. If you then turn the car off and back on after about a minute, the pressure starts at around 50psi and drops to around 15psi within 5 minutes. Anyway, I'm just wondering if it's too late for an engine flush to help or if this would be my best bet? Thanks for any help,
Normal oil pressure for 2000 2.7 engine is 25-105 at 3000rpm with a minimum spec of 5psi at idle with engine at normal operating temperature.Oil light comes on at just under 5psi. If the numbers you gave are at idle you shouldn't have any worrys in the oil pressure area with an engine with that mileage. Flushing the engine ussually isn't going to raise oil pressure.
While a good engine flush may clean out some deposits(sludge?) It can also be hard on the bearing surfaces and it won't make up for past lack of maintenence. If oil was changed regularly before you got it I would just keep up with regular oil and filter changes .
Do the oil light TSB , change oil often and drive :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Are you using 10w-30? If you are using 5W-30 switch to the 10 weight. I use it year round in my 2001 2.7 ..got 100k+ now.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My daughter has a 98 Sebring with a 2.5L and she had a similar problem. At times she would loose oil pressure while driving but if you parked the car a few minutes it would start again and have pressure. My mechaninc (a buddy since high school years) suggested dropping the pan because he had seen sludge build up in the bottom and clogging the oil screen. We did this and sure enough the pan was nasty. Cleaned it out and the car has 135k and still going. Did the above about 10k ago. Having had this problem on the 2.5L makes me wonder if it might not help a 2.7L live a little longer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I spent the $3 for a can of Gunk motor flush, followed the directions and replaced the oil with Castrol High Mileage 10-30 and a Wix filter. Started the car and watched the manual gauge I had installed temporarily. The car ran about 30 minutes and the lowest the oil pressure dropped was about 10 or 12psi. This could have been a result of the motor flush, the new heavier oil or the filter. Just to be safe I flushed it again the next day using the 'Gunk' brand again. This time I let it sit a little longer with a pan full of new oil and motor flush. Replaced the oil and filter and started it up. Let the car run another 30 minutes while watching the gauge, it never dropped below about 22psi. Anyway, I guess I answered the question, it wasn't too late for an engine flush. No more warning light and still no engine noise. Hope it stays this way.
Thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts