DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to do some work yesterday on my car and remove my ac belt until i replace the pulley. Today after driving to work i turned my car in during my break and noticed a noise from the engine. The main drive pulley now has a bit of a wobble I'm not sure was there before. If i overtightened the drive belt can that cause this? If so should loosening the belt help? Thanks

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
A 'litttle' wobble is ok on the crank pulley (harmonic balancer). It's been said that 1/16" wobble is within acceptable limits.

If it's like, WOBBLING, may be time for a new crank pulley.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not a serious wobble, not sure about the exact range of it, not good at judging sizes by eye lol not sure how much 1/16 is by comoarison but its definately less than half an inch. I took a video ill upload when i get home tonight. Should it be fine for a few days like that, and should i worry about the belt tension? Is tight on there and everything is working fine.thanks

·
18,595 Posts
Belt should be tight yes... no more than 1/2" deflection along the longest length of the belt.

But yes - post up a link to the vid (or the URL - I don't think you can post the vid directly until you have some more posts).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Uploaded it from my phone :D
e.com/watch?v=qZSJnLMVPTk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Ya cant post urls, should be able to Copy and paste that after the YouTube url

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol phew thanks, i was getting worried, it may have been there the whole time, ive only had the car since march and probably never noticed. Lol

·
18,595 Posts
Now about that noise you heard when you started it at work today...

Squeak? Squeal? Groan? Ticking/tapping?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I could have sworn it was a tapping, not really a tick. Seemed like it was coMing from that area.

Update:
I listened again after I drove home and whatever sound made me look under the hood seems to be gone, hopefully it doesnt come back!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts