DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I’m new to the forum. My daily driver is a 2000 Chrysler Concorde equipped with the 3.2 with 89,000 miles on it. I always noticed it burned some oil and never had a big issue with it until recently. I popped the hood yesterday and noticed oil had spewed out all over the front left side of the engine bay. Is there a seal that commonly goes bad with these before I tear it apart? I believe it’s either the front seal or the valve cover but I’m pretty stumped right now just trying to find a leak with it all in one piece. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
When you say left side, is that driver’s side or passenger side? The convention is to say left and right as if you are sitting in the car, but not everybody knows that, so thought I’d better ask.

Before suggesting where the leak could be, be aware that if your PCV valve or hoses are clogged, the crankcase will build up a lot of pressure and force oil out of places that normally wouldn’t leak (like the dipstick tube).

The front cover of the MTV valve is a common leak place from a bad o-ring.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Driver’s side, sorry about that. I bought the car in April with 68k for a grand. (Yes I do a lot of driving.) Needed power steering work and some break work. I assume it sat for a long time. Is the O-ring an easy job? I’ll head out to my garage and take another look for the leak right now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its 100% oil, I cleaned it up and let it idle for half an hour to try to find the leak, everything was covered again and I lost half a quart of oil. The cooling lines are on my list though. I plan on replacing them before they bust.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
2nd thought, the T-swivel for the engine oil cooler line is located in that area on the 01 and older models. That is a common point of failure. You can either spend upwards of $120 or so to replace that swivel fitting or take the pressure sending unit and screw it straight into the block, and use an 1/8" pipe plug if I remember right to plug off the port in the oil pan where the return line goes. With the 02+ models, the factory got rid of the engine oil cooler.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where is that in relation to the front of the block? It looks like I have a steady spray from near the tensioner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And none of this started until I decided to let someone else do my work for me because it was -4° out and I paid for an oil change. That’s the car gods getting back at me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The T-fitting that is known to leak is down below the alternator and a little bit forward from your oil filter.
So there’s a 90% chance that’s the leak. Is there a DIY on here for the sending until relocation?

·
Woober Goobers!
49,553 Posts
And none of this started until I decided to let someone else do my work for me because it was -4° out and I paid for an oil change. That’s the car gods getting back at me.
Have you checked the oil filter to make sure it's tight and that there isn't the old gasket left on the block along with the new one on the new oil filter?

·
Woober Goobers!
49,553 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have another question as well if I still have anyone’s attention. Is there any particular spot where wiring tends to wear, break, and/or short on these engines? I had a misfire in cylinder 2 and 3 at times when it rained and sometimes a check engine light under load and after the recent repair (successful oil cooler delete by the way!) I cleaned out some of the oily mess in my engine bay and I’m noticing an almost constant misfire in those cylinders now with a flashing MIL under almost any load.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts