DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this ongoing problem for a few months now. My Intrepid will overheat, I'll put in water into the coolant reservoir, and the next day it will be bone dry. I'll check every day for two weeks with no problems, then one day I'll drive for 2 miles and the overheating light comes on!

I've had it in the shop two times and they did a pressure test and said I have no leaks. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Check your thermostat! (It maybe stuck open!)

BTW-You should just be putting in WATER!, It should be the Special Orange Stuff from the Chrysler dealer, or Autozones' Zerex G05(Green Stuff) with 50/50 MIX RATIO!, So your engine is just evaporating the water like nothing, plus the out side temperature!, You can blow a head gasket, or bust the radiator dude!, have that checked out ASAP! :blunt:

LUIE

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
luisa said:
Check your thermostat! (It maybe stuck open!)

BTW-You should just be putting in WATER!, It should be the Special Orange Stuff from the Chrysler dealer, or Autozones' Zerex G05(Green Stuff) with 50/50 MIX RATIO!, So your engine is just evaporating the water like nothing, plus the out side temperature!, You can blow a head gasket, or bust the radiator dude!, have that checked out ASAP! :blunt:

LUIE
Not quite. If the system is working properly nothing should be evaporating because the system is closed. The purpose of using the mopar coolant or any antifreeze coolant for that matter is to lower the freezing point and raise the boiling point so it is more effective at cooling. It also has additives that protect the engine from corrosion Plain water is not the best way to go if your coolant is going to be there for a long time(long life coolant change interval is around 100,000 miles), but the car still shouldn't be overheating and running out of coolant unless there is a leak of some sort somewhere in the system.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Is your exhaust showing black, sooty carbon?
You might be losing coolant through the engine..
Are your sparkplugs rusting? cracked heads/block.
Try a compression test on your cylinders,too...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hate to plead ignorant, but I'm a woman and husband leaves it up to me to have cars serviced! : )
At first everyone thought it was a blown head gasket but after leaving it at the shop for almost a week now, they finally figured it out this evening. The problem turned out to be a blockage in the radiator. So I was looking at probably over $1K in repairs now I only have to pay about $350. Cool beans.

Glad I found this forum because my car has about 88K and things are starting to break...

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Only 88k? Don't worry, as long as your maintenance is good she has a whole lot of life left! Welcome to the site!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts