DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Intrepid, 210 km, ocasionally won't start, just the clicking noise made by turning the key in ignition. No turn over or any noise besides the key in slot. Lights and raidio work when this happend. Three times I had it towed to garage and it starts up for them and works fine.
Had battery cables cleaned and replaced.
Seems if I continually keep trying it will eventually start up, did this once for me.
Yesterday, after letting it sit for a day, I tried to start it and it caught only to sputter and stop. Started it again and it started and stopped. Then wouldn't start again till it was towed to dealer where it ran fine all day except for letting out a puff of black smoke they said may be because it is flooding.
What is going on. Can't depend on it so can't drive it.

Thanks
Colleen

·
Registered
399 Posts
What type of clicking? Is it a "Click Click Click" or just one solid "Click"? If it is just a solid click it means your starter is on the way out, and if this happens hopefully you can just get someone to bang on the starter with say a tire wrench and it SHOULD start. But if it is the click click click. It means the starter solonoid isn't getting enough power and once the draw of the starter kicks in the voltage drops below the voltage required to engage the solonoid, Then it disengages and then the voltage goes up because there is no load then the solonoid clicks on again and it goes on and on. So if that is the case, it could be a bad starter or your looseing power somewhere. Either the battery isn't good enough or the alternater isn't charging enough, or the cables carrying the voltage are coroded and aen't carrying the power.

So you can see if it is the "Click Click Click" type of no start it is very hard to diagnose. But if it is just the singular "Click!" it is almost certainly the starter. I hope this clears up the question you asked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a new battery, installed first time this happened in October.
Last Friday evening my son was driving the car home and it lost power as he turned into our yard. It lost power and chugged to a stop. Then wouldn't start again till it was towed to the garage where it worked fine.

The mechanic thought it was the battery cables so he cleaned and replaced what was crusted over corroded. I drove it about 400 Km and on the way home it wouldn't start. I kept on turning key, only sound it made was the sound of the ignition mechanism in the steering column turning. No inside sound at starter level, no turn over, or starter clicking , just in the steering column as I turned the key.

After about 10 min of turning the key it caught. Drove home without stopping, 300 Km.
Next morning in my yard, wouldn't start. Let it sit, a day later, I tried it and it caught, ran for about a 30 sec, then stopped, started it up again, tried to give it gas but stopped and wouldn't start until it was towed to garage and then it started , with a puff of black smoke (flooded?) and has been running fine for them ever since. (till I get it home!)
Very puzzling??

·
Registered
399 Posts
That is a puzzling one. But also difficult to diagnose over a message. It will need furthur diagnosis from a shop. There is lots of things it could be but without getting my hands on it it is impossible to test it.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Ummmm, alternator?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Definetely sounds like a battery/charging issue. My car goes 'click click click' when I turn the key after it's been sitting for a few months ;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
she is saying that she would be driving around and it would just quit, but then start a day later. Doesn't really sound likje a chargeing issue. If it was a chargeing issue it would quit and then not start at all untill it was boosted. It sounds more like an intermetant contact issue. But we can go back and forth all day about different issues that could cause this problem because there is a lot. We can't make a good firm without seeing the car.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
hmm maybe there isn't enough volts to start the car? Starter could be going bad? I'm betting it could be one or the other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts