DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 2 months my car has been having a hard time starting. Usually I have to crank it for 6 seconds or more to get it started, and after it starts there is a distinct gas smell in the car. I have also noticed a drop in my fuel mileage. Everyone I talked to told me that it was the fuel pump or the check valve was going bad. About a month ago I took it in and had a new gas tank put on, with pump. Problem persists. Now I have people telling me its the regulator which should be in the tank as well or so I am told. So I found the nice trick for pulling codes and I got the code :175 - The oxygen sensor is saying that the system air/fuel mix is far too rich (too much air is being added as a correction). Has anyone had this problem? Nobody has been able to find out the actual problem yet (everyone tells me I need to sell the car which I really enjoy) and I am getting annoyed.

I would really appreciate any help I can get, especially if its something I can try myself :grinyes:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Perhaps your spark plugs are fowled. Have them all replaced with some good quality platinum ones, reset the computer and see what happens. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
having the exact same problem on my 2002, 2.7 , 70k miles ./ close friend is a master mech at dodge, he said its very common , dont go swapin parts crazy, try this first, prior to cranking motor allow a few seconds to go by with the key in the run position and then try starting it, this will allow fuel pressure to be built up, works like a charm 95% of the time, just key on & wait for it, then crank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
And for all of the tech guys & gals, yes its only smoke and mirrors, knowing the 2.7's fuel relay is not active if the motor isnt cranking or running doesnt seem to change that it works nearlyevery time from a cold start, that is if one can remember not to stand on the key as soon as you want to get going.

me 2000 2.7 132,000k w/zero issues[well maintained],
wife 2002 2.7 75,000k w/non problem-matic starting issue
[runs perfect & was a rental car for the first 19k of its life]

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Seems like there was a TSB out for fuel rail repacement,on my 2000, but it might have been my '95...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok.. But..

That might explain the poor starting but how come I can still smell the fuel smell. and still have poor gas mileage. Would it be worth it trying to replace the fuel relay?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Before listening to "everyone" or before jumping into the electrical system, To really get to the root cause one would need a bit more info. Is the hard starting condition engine cold/hot or both?, is the fuel smell only present when hard starting condition present? What is the mileage change as measeured[under silmilar driving conditions], assuming that 22-25mpg would be considered an accepetable range. One would presume that a hard error code would be set for anything causing a drop of more than a couple mpg change.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the exact same problem to. I started off with 2 misfiring cylinders. I replaced all the injectors/spark plugs and the head gasket was worn right out causing the gas/oil smell in the car. Starts like a charm now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try turning the key to Acc ON without starting it, wait 3 sec's and then turn it to start [no gas], this gives the fuel system time to pressurize, a Chrysler Mech friend told me its very common, people come in want new pumps, tank, filters, plugs, the works. Most dealerships and repair shops are more than happy to oblige, course it doesn't solve the problem. Its works 90+% of the time on my 02' 2.7 which developed the condition at about 70k[ now has 98k], my 00' 2.7 hasn't experienced such issues[178k ]

·
Premium Member
16,868 Posts
mopartrepid said:
Try turning the key to Acc ON without starting it, wait 3 sec's and then turn it to start [no gas], this gives the fuel system time to pressurize, a Chrysler Mech friend told me its very common, people come in want new pumps, tank, filters, plugs, the works. Most dealerships and repair shops are more than happy to oblige, course it doesn't solve the problem. Its works 90+% of the time on my 02' 2.7 which developed the condition at about 70k[ now has 98k], my 00' 2.7 hasn't experienced such issues[178k ]
If it's a fuel injector (or fuel pump check valve) leak down problem, you can put the key in "run" for a couple seconds (without starting, the fuel pump will only run for a second or so with key in "run"), then turn it off, and then back to run for another coupla seconds, then start. That gives the fuel pump two pre-start bursts to re-fill and pressurize the rail.

Some fuel injector cleaner often fixes the problem.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I agree with the list above. You should definitely pull the spark plugs and make sure they are kosher. If your spark plug is not firing hot enough, the fuel injected is not gonna get burned and that will release too much hydrocarbon out of your tailpipe, which will make your oxygen sensor report a rich mixture.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If your running rich, I would look at lack of air.
My motto, always try the cheap stuff first.
Check your Air Cleaner, make sure the rodents didnt pack it with acorns. :icon_conf
Replace your air filter.

Then I would start looking at Oxygen sensors.
Invest in a "good" OBDII scanner. Monitor the Oxygen sensor parameters to see if one of them are behaving badly.

Then I would go for a SeaFoam treatment, to attempt to clean out carbon. Could be a partially clogged Cat.

- Original Post was quite a while ago - So dont know if these words of wisdom will actually help anyone.

Later

·
Registered
32 Posts
having the exact same problem on my 2002, 2.7 , 70k miles ./ close friend is a master mech at dodge, he said its very common , dont go swapin parts crazy, try this first, prior to cranking motor allow a few seconds to go by with the key in the run position and then try starting it, this will allow fuel pressure to be built up, works like a charm 95% of the time, just key on & wait for it, then crank.
That's a work around to the problem. I have a car starter and it fails 50% of the time.

Do you know what I could do in order to correct the problem?

I changed my plugs... didn't do anyting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts