DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speaker question on 2001 Chrysler Concorde

I have a Concorde LXi with the middle of the road “premium” audio system (not Infinity). It has a center dash speaker opening but there’s no speaker there along with the sail panel tweeters. It came with an Alpine HU with bluetooth.

My question is, the speakers sound pretty decent until a certain volume threshold then begin to distort. Like if volume is set at 21 they distort but if I go back to 20 they sound normal again, this is with the bass turned all the way down.

I asked a local car audio shop and the guy tells me that it’s because the speakers aren’t getting enough power and that’s causing the distortion. I assume these are factory speakers but I haven’t looked yet. Is this sound logic? It doesn’t make sense to me but I’m open to the idea if that’s actually the case.

I understand this model came with some sort of factory amp, but I am unsure if it’s been bypassed. Is the power output the same as the OEM HU if the factory amp isn’t bypassed? As in the aftermarket HU just provides the signal and the factory amp still provides the same power? Thanks in advance for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Woober Goobers!
51,488 Posts
The "Midline" audio system will have front door "Sail" speakers up by the rear view mirrors. It will have a factory amp of 120 watts total in the passenger side kick panel under a plastic trim cover.

It sounds like the either the factory amp is bypassed and your HU can't produce the power. Or the HU is double amping and overloading the factory amp. You need to pull the Alpine and look behind the radio to see how it's wired.

If you don't have the Sail speakers on the front doors then you have a Base audio system with no amplifier and all power supplied by your HU which is most likely the cause of your issues.

You won't have a center dash speaker unless you have an Infinity I or II factory amplified system. Midline audio systems and Infinity I systems will have sail speakers.

Reactions: ConquerorConcorde

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I’ll get it pulled and see what I can find out back there.

I do have the sail speakers so midline system it is I suppose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts