DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Dodge Intrepid 3.2 and the car went into limp mode after replacing the TCM twice within 2 months. Here's a history of what happened:

My son drove it his cousins house 2 hours away and he called me and said after about 30 miles of driving towards home, and said the following happened:

1) The battery/voltage light came on.
2) The tachometer went to 5.
3) The engine started to make loud sound like a motorcycle engine.
4) Car was not shifting correctly (it's an automatic).

He was able to drive the car back to his cousins house.

I drove there and got the codes by turning ignition off/on 3 times and codes were: P1684, P1682, P0325, P0700, P0455.

The check engine light has been on for over a year but I did not get fixed because there were 2 codes that indicated the problem was the O2 sensor, but I didn't have fixed because the car over 20 years old it's not required to pass emissions inspection.

I then checked the battery cables, the connections to the alternator, the belts, and all were tight, and did not see any loose wires anywhere. BTW, the battery and alternator (Carquest) were replaced about a year ago even though the original was still good.

I then drove the car about a mile, and the battery/voltage light came on but no loud noises and the tachometer reading normal, but car was not shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear.

I took the car to a mechanic who did a scan...codes P0455, P0700, P1632, P0325, P0633, P0634, P0605. Beside the P0605 code he commented: "There are no tests for this code. There is an internal problem inside the TCM". He also said reason for low voltage was due to bad alternator.

I removed the TCM from an '01 Concorde 3.2 and the car has a "J" in the vin# same as the Intrepid, and I mailed it to the mechanic along with the original alternator from the car.

After TCM and alternator replaced, transmission shifted normally and no voltage problems or CEL codes.

The car drove normally for about 6 weeks after work done but transmission went in limp mode again. I bought a used TCM on ebay but there was no vin# listed of the car removed from but the part# exact as one I replaced, and had it installed. However, it did not fix the shifting problem this time.

I had the speed sensors replaced yesterday and the camshaft sensor today but it didn't fix the shifting problem. The mechanic said he thinks the transmission is bad because of burnt smell from dipstick. The mechanic was at a local shop, not a dealer and I don't think he's certified, so I'm not convinced the problem is with the transmission.

Codes today with a standard OBD scanner: P0700, P0605.

I called a company on ebay who refurbishes TCM's and asked if I sent them the PCM and TCM off the car could they re-program so they communicate to each other and he replied no, has to be done at the dealer.

Some on the forum have said that replacing the solenoid pack can fix the shifting problem, but that along with fluid/filter could be around $400, which I don't want to spend on something I don't know will fix the problem on a car that I probably could get only about $800 for as is.

Here are some options I'm considering:

1) Get another TCM from the same year make/year with "J" in vin# from a salvage yard and buy the PCM too. Install the TCM but if doesn't fix the shifting problem, install the PCM. Estimated cost $100

2) Take car to dealer, have a scan done and see if can program the TCM and PCM to communicate with each other. Estimated cost $150 - $200.

Which option, or other, is best?

·
Registered
805 Posts
700 is a general code that the tcm has asked the check light to be set.
you'll need a better reader to get the trans codes.
probably just need input/output sensors most often.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
700 is a general code that the tcm has asked the check light to be set.
you'll need a better reader to get the trans codes.
probably just need input/output sensors most often.
The first time the transmission went in limp mode the mechanic used an expensive scanner and the other code related to to the transmission problem was P0605, which indicates there is an internal problem with the TCM. I asked the mechanic who did the work if his scanner would detect if speed sensors bad and he replied "probably", but another mechanic who uses a Snap On Solus scanner said "no". I'll call the Dodge dealer tomorrow to find out if it's possible to program the TCM and PCM to communicate with each other, and if so, I'll pay to have that done...otherwise, I'm leaning towards buying a TCM/PCM from a 2001 Intrepid 3.2 and installing and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
805 Posts
i guess that's the key to understanding this.
is the P0605 code for the tcm or the pcm?
if you're sure it's the tcm. it can be replaced with any used one in those years.
pcm and bcm carry the security.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,551 Posts
Solenoid Pack or Valve Body?

·
Woober Goobers!
51,551 Posts
2001 is the "Hybrid" year where some electronics and wiring were changing to get ready for the the combined TCM/PCM of 2002-2004. If you're trying to fix PCM/TCM related problems for 2001 then you need ONLY 2001 parts.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,551 Posts
I'll look up you list of codes in your First post but don't expect answers tonight or even in the next few days.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll look up you list of codes in your First post but don't expect answers tonight or even in the next few days.
Thanks for looking into this Ronbo.

Here's some other info. about the trep:

1) It's an ES.
2) Has factory alarm.
3) Color of plastic on ignition key is grey.
4) Part# of TCM: P04896430AG
5) Ground wire connections for TCM/PCM cleaned with wire brush.
6) Ignition switch replaced last year.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,551 Posts
The P0700 is an indicator that there's a problem within the Transmission or it's Control. There will be underlying codes that will give more details.

"Codes today with a standard OBD scanner: P0700, P0605 ."

You need a scanner that can get those other codes. It looks like what you were using to get the above codes isn't able to do that.

It also sounds like your alternator problem triggered many codes due to Low Voltage or Voltage Fluctuations. The P0605 is a Memory Checksum Error in the TCM. There's no testing for it just replace it. Look for a replacement that has the same base part number as what you listed above. The last two letters aren't as important. For example if you find a P04896430AC or P04896430AD, they'll both work. However it's desirable that you find one with a higher alphabetical letter at the end. Like a P04896430AH, etc. That will have the latest Flash programming in it. The TCM doesn't have anything to do with Security like SKIS or the Alarm so that's not a concern.

Again find someone that has a better code scanner to see what codes are under the P0700.

And have you disconnected the battery to reset the codes?

Reactions: peva

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
The only other thing you need to verify on a replacement TCM is that it came from an Intrepid, Concorde, or 300M that had either the 3.2 or 3.5. So it can't come from any 2.7 LH car. This is so your speedometer and odometer readings stay accurate (a different tansfer chain-sprocket ratio was used for the 2.7 engined cars). (The 300M Special has the same ratio as other LHs with the 2.7 even though it has the 3.5 engine, BUT the Special was not introduced until the 2002 MY, so not a concern for your 2001.)

The transfer ratio doesn't affect the TCM part number. The ratio is determined by the firmware put into it after it is built and a part number applied. (They can be reprogrammed - dealer would charge for that - assuming they will do it.)

Ron - Do you agree?

·
Woober Goobers!
51,551 Posts
Dealer may or may not charge a retarded fee for a Reflash. I believe it's the Pinion Factor that needs to be changed. Anyone with a DRB III can do it. That includes independent shops with the DRB tool

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
Dealer may or may not charge a retarded fee for a Reflash. I believe it's the Pinion Factor that needs to be changed. Anyone with a DRB III can do it. That includes independent shops with the DRB tool
Righto! Yes - pinion factor.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,551 Posts
Some of the very early year TCMs had different part numbers for the pinion factor programmed into them. 1998 and early 1999. Later years had programming for both pinion factors already in it and the correct one for your vehicle was selected by the DRB III. This includes the 2001.

If you get one that came out of a 3.2/3.5L car it'll already have the correct pinion factor selected and should be plug-n-play.

Reactions: peva

·
Woober Goobers!
51,551 Posts
Have a 2001 Factory Service Manual set available for $40 shipped. In case you're interested. heh

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
Ron - I agree that if he gets a 2001 TCM from 3.2 or 3.5 vehicle, it would be plug-n-play.

I could be wrong, but I think you are wrong about '98 TCM part numbers for pinion factor. I do know that there were two part numbers for '98 TCM for with and without autostick. In later years, one TCM part number was used regardless of with and without autostick. See snips from parts pdf's, below.

After '98, the same part number TCM would be autostick or not depending on the type of instrument cluster in the vehicle - automatic detection. I think in all years, pinion factor was programmed (selected?) in firmware regardless of TCM part number.

I had experience with this in my '98. Had to replace the TCM. If I had replaced it with a '98 TCM, I would have had to make sure it came from car w/o autostick (and 3.2/3.5 for the right pinion factor). Instead, I got a TCM from a '00 (with 3.2/3.5 to get the right pinion factor). Plug-n-play. Later, I converted to autostick - by replacing cluster (and shifter) with an autostick cluster - TCM sensed the A/S cluster - worked perfectly with autostick. (Actually, I kept original non-autostick shifter and installed a Puttstick). :)

Of course, none of this (except pinion factor) affects eagle4x since he needs an '01 TCM. 👍

From '98 parts PDF (item 1 - EATX = TCM):
Rectangle Beige Tints and shades Parallel Font

From '01 parts PDF - item 3 - one EATX/TCM part number - typical of '99 thru '01:
Circle Event Font Electric blue Pattern

·
Woober Goobers!
51,551 Posts
Auto-Stink!

·
Woober Goobers!
51,551 Posts
I haven't used AutoStick in any of my LH equipped cars ever. If you want to pretend you have a manual buy a stick! LOL!

My 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee has paddle shifters in place of AutoStick and it's annoying to use. Hard shifts and holds gears way too long. A worthless option IMHO.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,551 Posts
And Brandon says: Let's Go!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I assume the last TCM that I purchased on ebay with part# P04896430AG is off a 3.2 like my trep since the part# is the same as the original, but not 100% sure (seller hasn't responded to question if it's off a 3.2...ad only says for 2001 Intrepid). So either that TCM is not compatible with my Intrepid or it's bad, but more likely the latter because of the P0605 code (internal TCM fault).

The battery was disconnected for about 45 min. when 2nd TCM replaced.

When getting used electrical parts from salvage yard, the condition is unknown, so I'll probably buy a refurbished TCM and have it programmed based on my vin# (about $150 - $200). The 2 companies on ebay perform that service are AutoComp Technologies and All Computer Resources. Both have good reviews on ebay but google reviews are a lot worse. Any others that have refurbished TCM's for under $200? I prefer buying refurbished TCM vs sending my existing one to be refurbished because it's faster turn around time.

Also, I read some posts in the forum that the P0605 code could also indicate a bad PCM...do you agree? If so, would a PCM from donor car off a 3.2 '01 Intrepid with factory alarm and grey plastic on key have to be reprogrammed or is it plug and play?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts