DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I called Cottman Transmission and spoke to technician and he said he will do a diagnosis for $115/hr including a scan with their $20K scanner. He said if will take less than an hour to check to determine if any power issues, and if not, likely only the TCM will need replacing, and if so, recommended buying refurbished one from flagship1, but if power or other issues will probably take more than an hour to find the cause. I'll update here after results received next week.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update 2: Rep. at Cottman said no power to the TCM and said to fix have to install new wire for power from fuse box to TCM since cannot locate where wire broken.

The first TCM replaced worked fine for about 3 weeks so I do not understand why no power now. Just hope their diagnosis is correct.

·
Registered
821 Posts
well, if you have a bad wire, moving the harness to disconnect and then re-connect to the new one, may have given it connection again for a little while.
like the old tapping a light bulb makes it work again for awhile.
2 tcm's failing in a row is unlikely.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,564 Posts
Might explain why your first replacement TCM stopped working. Might still be good.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
New wire for power installed and power restored to TCM but car still in limp mode after technician test drove car, and code is still P0605.

I went to the shop and talked to the technician, and he said:
1) The TCM losing power caused the unit to short, however, someone told me that losing power doesn't cause electronics to short.

2) Usually from opening the TCM inspecting the jell and if bubbling indicates a bad TCM. He took the 1st TCM from the car and opened it in front of me but no bubbling present, then he pointed to another component on the circuit board and said it was probably bad.

3) Recommended buying a reman unit and if I did that, they would install it on the car for no additional charge. When I asked if I would be charged if a reman unit installed but did not fix the shifting problem he said he's 100% sure it will solve the problem and to trust him, but would do add'l diagnosis if needed at no charge.

4) Reman units much better than sending mine off to be refurbished.

I left the car at the shop and now searching for reman unit...suggestions? I looked in parts for sale section on this forum but no TCM's for my trep...anyone have one for an '01 3.2?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just ordered reman unit from Solo Auto Electronics for $199. Technician said they gut the unit and replace all parts, 25% restocking fee, no core charge but have to return core within 14 days to get lifetime warranty, 14 day return period.

I contacted two other companies: All Computer Resources and Auto Comp Technologies. 1st couldn't tell me how their TCM's refurbished and no one at 2nd would answer. Even though both cost less than one I ordered, I'd rather order from company where I can get an agent on the phone and who is knowledgeable about their equipment.

I'll post update after received/installed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Reman TCM received/installed...problem solved! Thanks for everyone's help!

Next will change transmission fluid. Rep. at Cottman said to use ATF +4 and reinstall pan using only grey or black RTV sealant and not use the gasket that comes with the filter.

Now air not blowing through vents on dash...only from defroster. I think the climate control needs replacing.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts