DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this. I had removed the fan assembly and radiator to facilitate a repair. This is something I've done many times. The fan assembly was placed on a table in my "shop" for what turned out to be a few months. When I reinstalled it and took the car on a 1/2 mile test drive. Everything seemed normal and the original issue appeared to be fixed. The temp gauge was exactly where is likes to be; just a bit under the middle line. But when I stopped and opened the hood to check for leaks, etc. I saw that the coolant reservoir was bubbling hot. I also noted that neither of the cooling fans were on. From there I turned on the a/c; no fan. I jumped the relays and made sure 12v+ of power was present; it was. I looked up the issue here and had an ah'ha' moment. The RFI! I wasn't even aware of it had one in the fans. But that wasn't it. I have since removed the fans and stripped a little insulation from the black, green and yellow wires just before they enter the sealed motors and put the fully charged battery power to them. Nothing. I use a 12v test light/lead for the power wire and it lights up when touching the black and either of the the green and yellow wires. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't. Does that indicated shorted windings?
Anyway, while a new assembly isn't a ton of money I have a hard time thinking both of them just up and died while sitting on a table. One question is, were they working before? That I can only assume (I hate that) they were because there were no temp issues prior. And the original issue that necessitated the fans removal did not directly involve them. Anyone have a clue to what I may have missed? Or is this just one of those things that happens?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
It could happen, if there was a bad connection somewhere in the fan assembly just moving it around from the car to the table etc could have finished it off.

I've gone thru two fan sets on my 98, my advice, buy a good set of fans, my first set was a cheap aftermarket, only lasted a few years, second set was a "higher end" aftermarket; so far so good.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts
I think I have two of the aftermarket fan shrouds NIB in storage! Bought them just in case for the R/T and the Special.

·
Premium Member
17,026 Posts
Just a theory: It may be that grime solidified into an insulating layer on the brushes or commutator or corrosion formed on the commutator of the fan motors while they sat on the table over several months. If so, you might find that spinning the blades by hand to wipe the brush and commutator contact surfaces will clear the problem. Or not. (If you try it, remove fan fuses so your hands don't get injured if the fan motors should suddenly take off.)

If you know the the fans would or did not run with 12V between green or yellow wire and black wire, that is proof that the problem is in the motors (whether brush/commutator grime or corrosion or not).

Probably should replace fan assembly as Ron suggested. If there's much play in the fan bearings (bushings), they're probably not long for this world anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geezzz I love this site. Thank You all for the inputs. I've got to go w/Peva's thought due to the test light. Though I'll give it a good shake and air blow out again anyway.
The ironic nature of this dilemma reminds me of something I hadn't thought of in many, many moons. I replaced the points in my 79' Pinto 1600 engine (my first newer car) as general maintenance and it wouldn't start to save my life. I subsequently discovered the points were bad from stock. That was extremely rare. But believe it or not I'd buy another Pinto in a minute if I could find one. They were your basic car and fun to drive. Kinda' like a big go-kart.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts
19 year old fan shroud assembly if original....it's done its job!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had replaced a radiator on my 2000 2.7. While checking for leaks I saw a small wisp of smoke and then a flame come from the high temp fan. It was jammed from me picking up the radiator in a less than gentle manner. I am more careful now and I check the fans every time I pull a radiator. Flames scare me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts