DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, according to the threads I have searched, my stalling problem is due to a bad fuel pump, bad EGR, bad IAC, clogged fuel tank, cam sensor, intake gasket problem, fan temp sensor, bad MAP sensor, loose connector, PCM, output speed sensor, PCV. :banghead:
Car cold starts perfect, runs strong, shifts great, pulls right up to redline. Once its warmed up, it stalls when I let off the throttle. It will do this if I'm going 75 and then let off to take an exit or if I'm going 30 and then stop at a light. It fires right back up, once in a while I have to hold the throttle open, but usually I hit the key and its fine. If I click it into neutral when I am coming to a stop it stays running.
After reading a bunch of posts here, I am leaning towards the EGR. The check engine light finally came on last night but cleared after driving it today. Do these cars store codes?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do the key dance to retrieve the code, Cycle the key to the "ON" position then the "OFF" position for three times and for the last cycle stay on "ON" it should display the code in the odometer.

I cant quickly find the how-to thread on the key dance but I'm sure after alittle digging you can find it. Theres little car specific tricks for some cars (for mine the car needs to be in neutral, and only displays the done quickly if there aren't any codes).

That code is more valuable than any wild ass speculation anyone can give you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That code is more valuable than any wild ass speculation anyone can give you.
OK, I'll give it a try, though wild ass speculation is what is what internet car forums are all about.:biglaugh:

ok, on off a few times gave me "1684 0404 done"

The 1684 is some "battery disconnected in past 50 starts" and then the 0404 must be a code 404 which is a "EGR position makes no sense" code. I guess I'll start with the EGR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If this car had any balls, I would kick it in them.

The EGR is a total PITA to get at, and of course the four 8mm bolts are seized. I'll have to stop at the store and get 4 new bolts. I actually removed it with both of the tubes still bolted to it. I'll try to take some pics of the mayhem tomorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, That was a PITA, but its done. I could not get over how much crap was in the PCV hose, it was all decayed and full of crap. Anyway, grabbed a new EGR at C.A.P. and installed it. Car fired right up, CEL was on, then it went away. Car seems to run perfect, no hot stall! yee ha

·
Registered
26 Posts
ok, That was a PITA, but its done. I could not get over how much crap was in the PCV hose, it was all decayed and full of crap. Anyway, grabbed a new EGR at C.A.P. and installed it. Car fired right up, CEL was on, then it went away. Car seems to run perfect, no hot stall! yee ha
PCV hose? do you mean the EGR tubes or really the PCV hose?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PCV hose? do you mean the EGR tubes or really the PCV hose?
EGR tubes were clean, I mean the hose that goes from that weird water exchange valve to the PCV on top of the left side of the intake. It had decomposed and become all stretchy. When I pulled it off, it tore and all sorts of rubber bits came out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a problem. 2003 dodge intrepid 2.7 litre. I cold start it and let it idle for about 10 minutes and shift into drive while warmed up and it stalls. I put a brand new crank and cam sensor on it. New plenum gaskets new injector o rings cuz it was all leaking air and a new fuel pump and can't seem to find the fix. Could it be a dirty intake? Another thing, I've tested all the sensors and they seem to be fine.

·
Premium Member
16,761 Posts

The Idle Air Control valve allows the PCM to adjust the idle. Maybe it or its air passage is clogged with soot, so stalls when loaded by the transmission? Try removing and cleaning it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts