DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil light on my 2001 2.7 Intrepid flickers once in awhile.

Could it just be a faulty sensor.

And yes,the oils changed regularly and is full.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,160 Posts
Be very careful since you have a 2.7! These engines are notorious for sludge problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,831 Posts
Ffej Nodrog said:
The oil light on my 2001 2.7 Intrepid flickers once in awhile.

Could it just be a faulty sensor.

And yes,the oils changed regularly and is full.
There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) that has been out for MANY years regarding this issue. IT IS NOT SLUDGE BUILDUP!!!! :rolleyes: (That seems to be the common response) The TSB states that the oil pressure sending unit is faulty, and the vent wire is at fault too. Best bet is to go to the store and purchase a new sending unit and vent wire. Your light will stop flickering, and you'll be as good as gold.
P.S.
Remember TSB's are NOT free when taken to a dealership (Recalls are free). Let us know what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,160 Posts
IT IS NOT SLUDGE BUILDUP!!!! (That seems to be the common response)
Because it is a known problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,831 Posts
timdawg said:
Because it is a known problem.
In this particular case regarding his flickering oil light... it is NOT a common problem. It's the oil pressure sending unit that is the culprit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,101 Posts
Sludge buildup would be the case for the engine light blinking off and on, and also if the engine makes wired noised...and if the oil light STAYS on...If the oil light just flickers it could be a number of things...including that the spring in your pressure sender is just broken and needs to be replaced.

--Gorm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,160 Posts
Guys I just told him to be careful about his engine since he has a 2.7. I never stated that that was the problem!!! Sludging is a known problem with these engines!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,831 Posts
Gorm said:
Sludge buildup would be the case for the engine light blinking off and on, and also if the engine makes wired noised...and if the oil light STAYS on...If the oil light just flickers it could be a number of things...including that the spring in your pressure sender is just broken and needs to be replaced.

--Gorm
I don't recall that he said that his motor is making weird noises Jason. All that he said is that the light flickers. Nor do I recall him saying that his light stays on. Instead of adding more worries and problems for the guy to face let's tackle it one problem at a time. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,388 Posts
Allrighty. The most likely culprit would be the oil pressure switch. I posted a pic from the service manual on here in my gallery showing where to find it on the 2.7. Yes sludge is a very much talked about problem on these engines, but so is the oil light flicker. I've had it happen in my '01. The TSB is actually only issued for the '98 and '99 models (go figure), and I have repliedto this topic on treps all the way up to the '04 MY. Even on one occasion I replied to someone with a 1st gen that was experiencing similar symptoms. Not a 2.7 obviously, but the same problem described.

the oil pressure switch you can get at the parts stores, the vent wire however is a dealer item. Don't fret, its both a cheap and easy fix and shouldn't take but 1/2 hour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks guys for the help.

There are no weird noises,just flickers after she gets warm.
If you tap the gas it goes away.


I'll check into all the solutions and let you guys know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,388 Posts
Ffej Nodrog said:
Thanks guys for the help.

There are no weird noises,just flickers after she gets warm.
If you tap the gas it goes away.


I'll check into all the solutions and let you guys know.
symptoms fit the flicker profile. I just posted a link to a good thread about the TSB recently. Like within the past couple weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,101 Posts
crombie said:
I don't recall that he said that his motor is making weird noises Jason. All that he said is that the light flickers. Nor do I recall him saying that his light stays on. Instead of adding more worries and problems for the guy to face let's tackle it one problem at a time. :p
I was only trying to clairfy what a sludge problem would be. Like i said the light flickering off and on...is ususally NOT a sludge problem.

--Gorm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
I had the same problem about 6 months ago on my 2001 2.7 ....... the oil light would flicker when I would be at a stop light (low idle) .... it just turned out to be a bad ol pressure sending switch. I think it cost something like $57 to get replaced..... no problem. Really, you 2.7 bashers need to give it a rest. Everytime someone with a 2.7 says they have a problem, it's like "SLUDGE! Your engine is going to die, etc. etc. etc." For every 2.7 that goes bad, there's probably like 10 that get over 100k with no problems. I've hammered the crap out of mine since I bought it almost 5 years ago and at 98k, the only thing's I've done to it are replace the oil pan gasket and the oil pressure switch. The transmission will probably go before my engine does. So far, my Intrepid has been the most dependable car I've owned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
My 2001 also has the same problems
runs beautiful but engine oil light flickers at warm low idle at stop lights..
Sometimes at best.

The car has 190K on it and I cannot forsee any issues with the engine.. I run Mobil 1 Super Syn and a Mobil 1 oil filter, it costs me a bit more per oil change every 2500-3000 but it keeps my mind satisfied in knowing that im putting the best into the motor.

I really hope I break 250K or more!!!!... Suspension is sound and everything works well.. I have only excellent remarks about the car, i just wish the 2.7 HAD MORE POWER!!!

Also for me the most dependable car ive owned... got me through many buffalo winters
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,552 Posts
01BronzeTreP said:
My 2001 also has the same problems
runs beautiful but engine oil light flickers at warm low idle at stop lights..
Sometimes at best.

The car has 190K on it and I cannot forsee any issues with the engine.. I run Mobil 1 Super Syn and a Mobil 1 oil filter, it costs me a bit more per oil change every 2500-3000 but it keeps my mind satisfied in knowing that im putting the best into the motor.

I really hope I break 250K or more!!!!... Suspension is sound and everything works well.. I have only excellent remarks about the car, i just wish the 2.7 HAD MORE POWER!!!

Also for me the most dependable car ive owned... got me through many buffalo winters
17$ oil sending unit. Easy to change... mine did the same thing.... Is that 190,000 Km , or 190,000 Miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
160,000 miles sorry

dont know why now after looking at that why i even put k LOL

I looked th emileage today which i never do I always keep it on trip and anyways
today i was at like 160964 miles

im about 1000 miles till my next 60 dollar oil change LOL mobil 1 super syn extended 5w 30 and the mobil 1 filter for super syn LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,552 Posts
cool, Im at 185,000miles in my 2001. I just replaced water pump and all that timing crap in Nov. I didnt have to, but it seemed like a good precauton.
 
1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Top