DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WE have an original owner RT--it is an 2001 intrepid--we try to keep it mint -jan of this year i had the oil changed as usual at a VALVOLINE center back in CT--and they have been doing my oil changes every 3k--as we were in a hurry because of an upcoming move to WV-i did not recheck their work like i always do --well long story short-i went to change the oil myself as i have not really found a place yet to do it --and the stock drain plug was replaced with an aftermarket DORMAN HELP plug -( wanted to enclose a picture-but can not find a way)(THINK I FOUND A WAY TO ATTACH) but it is the one that says hand tighten only and looks like they got the idea from a wing clip that is used in sheet rock --has anyone had any experience with this type plug !!--looks fail safe --but i am beyond pissed at the center for not telling me that they strpped the hole and more so at coperate for not responding to my e-mails--i really would feel a little more secure if some one has had some experience with this replacement drain plug --thanks --buzzy--

Attachments

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
they are only really intended for temporary use. unfortuneatly only true fix is to replace the oil pan if its threads in fact are stripped out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would change my own oil --might as well as i always double check their work--but i was working all the time --this car is the nicest car i ever owned --they get a bad rap because some people try to screw you --like i had a front end wobble--two shops said oh yea --bad rack 2 k please --they all do it --took a look myself--bad inner tie rod --fixed it myself -same with the clock -- spring --they all do it !!--the dealer at a service had stuffed it with grease !!--you always know when a car is too good --they stop making it !!!--buzzy

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Yeah buzzy, it sucks that they did that. That Valvoline center probably has a stockroom full of those stoppers.

You might be able to get an oversized self tapping drainplug. I would be surprised if no one here has a specific part number as often as quickie lube places strip the drain plug holes in our cars.

As a final measure, you could get a replacment oil pan.

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
or,, you could find a GOOD shop, and have them put a heli coil in the pan , ro replace the stripped threads,,

Valvoline totally blows down here, we fix 2-3 drain pans a week from them

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS--i have a master kit and lots of heli coil stuff--my brother used to work for them --myself i have always been a little scared to use them this way ---i just retired and now i have time to look at things myself--if there is enough metal (alloy) for a good tap--that may be the way i go --i was so pissed when i seen this and more so now that i can not get a reply from coperate--that i have not had time to really take a good look --i just wished that they had told me when they did it --as i could have made the necessary moves then --tough after the fact --sitting in the back of my head is that it may not be stripped --just that they some how lost the thing and as it is metric--when i drop the oil the next time i will have an oem plug and see--only trouble is that i have to wreck the one they put in --in order to get it out--it does almost look like a fail safe setup --but by no means right !!! and when i get all the paper work from all their services and still no reply from their coperate --will turn it all over to the dealers & repair div. for the state of CT--they do not take this stuff with a grain of salt--all could have been avioded if they just told me --and myself is at fault for not looking at the work BEFORE i left--the one time i let it slide it bites me in the ass !!!--thanks for the reply --buzzy

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
or,, you could find a GOOD shop, and have them put a heli coil in the pan , ro replace the stripped threads,,

Valvoline totally blows down here, we fix 2-3 drain pans a week from them
do those customers learn their lesson? i would sure hope so

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
just a heads up,, if you do the heli coil,, make sure you get some , oh say 2-3 ouarts of oil and pour it thou the engine before putting the drain plug in,, flush out any metal chips that may happen when you tap the pan,,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RIGHT ON--i have a good collection of vintage dirt bikes from the 70s so a helicoil is no stranger --what we do--and have done for years is always put heavy wheel bearing grease on the tap itself -this gets some and the oil run though will get the rest --gotta look and see how big of a deal it is to drop the pan ---car is worthy of top shelf treatment !!!! thanks --buzzy

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
RIGHT ON--i have a good collection of vintage dirt bikes from the 70s so a helicoil is no stranger --what we do--and have done for years is always put heavy wheel bearing grease on the tap itself -this gets some and the oil run though will get the rest --gotta look and see how big of a deal it is to drop the pan ---car is worthy of top shelf treatment !!!! thanks --buzzy
i knew you had something to do with dirt bikes or quads when i saw your name

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea been at it for 43 years--and have a race this weekend--!!! we have some great sites to exchange info about our bikes and to help out others--just like this site --always open for ideas--thanks--buzzy

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
cool, i have a suzuki my self. good luck in your race

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THANKS--i was looking at these--but the RT is real low and a lot of back roads here --well are more like log trails--think i am just gonna get a new pan and stay stock --and thanks for your time to post this info --they are great in most applications--!!!--buzzy

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
No clue how your going to get the Dorman out of there without removing the pan. The wing part will be trapped if you unscrew it to much. Fumoto valve FTW. The 90 degree open lever is on the back side so even if a stone hits it not a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THEY claim that there are two ways to remove the DORMAN--one is to back it out almost all the way--and play the wiggle game--the other is to back it out all the way and use a magnet to get the wings ( do not like this idea as it must be spring loaded ) and where do they end up ??--the dorman deal looks fail safe --but ?? i do not like the tab on the outside--gotta get under her and drop the oil and see what i am really up aganist --i was just wondering if anyone has used one of these DORMANs for sny period of time ?/--but all ideas are very welcome--will let you guys know the outcome--gonna send VALVOLINE CORP one more e-mail and after that i am gonna turn all paperwork to the dealers & repairers dept in CT--not too pissed that it happened --just pissed that they did not tell me or will not respond to my e-mails--i have all records and they do too !!!--thanks--buzzy

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yikes...just another reason to avoid places like that. I've had issues before where Valvoline/Pennzoil/Whatever-instant-oil-change tightened either the drainplug or the filter down WAY too much. Even with a 24" breaker bar on my filter wrench, I couldn't get the filter out...Same thing with the drain plug in a few cases. Heck, one time I actually bent the filter because of all the torque I was putting on it. I've, thankfully, never had a stripped drain plug.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TOLD coperate today that i was turning this over to the CT. DMV--they replyed that the branch that did it was self owned/franchised--ya/ya/ya--anyway they said that they were forward my info to the manger of that franchise--he just called me and told me that they do this when a plug comes out hard or goes in hard--but ALWAYs tell the owner--and wanted to know who serviced it last before jan --told them to look at their files--oh we did it in nov. --yea and it was fine then --in anycase he said he would fire the guys who did it--but already had for other reasons--and also the store manger has been made history before this !!--said if i run a tap though it i can still use a std plug ??--last time any one of those type places get ahold of anything i own !!!!!---next oil change i will update --will try the tap first --but doubt it --and then go from there --thanks for all the replys--buzzy

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
THEY claim that there are two ways to remove the DORMAN--one is to back it out almost all the way--and play the wiggle game--the other is to back it out all the way and use a magnet to get the wings ( do not like this idea as it must be spring loaded ) and where do they end up ??--the dorman deal looks fail safe --but ?? i do not like the tab on the outside--gotta get under her and drop the oil and see what i am really up aganist --i was just wondering if anyone has used one of these DORMANs for sny period of time ?
Normally one does remove the oil plug, but you have to? Why not loosen it enough to drain the oil and then reuse the plug? It'd be kinda' messy, but it should work.

I've been using a similar (Help! ??; dunno, it came with the pan) drain plug which looks like a hollow rubber drain plug with a bolt (like a carriage bolt) inside which tightens against an outside washer and wingnut-like piece. (Not really these exact parts, but the more evolved/engineered counterparts.) I never have a leakage and have changed the oil (reusing it) three times.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts