DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, guys my intrepid isn't going to last a life time and as you know the performance is beginning to fade away and IM not going to put any more money into it.

SO IM thinking about buying a new car and I need some feedback and opinions.

Well, I searched and searched and here is the candidates for the cars. WRX, New Altima 3.5. Or the New SVT Lightning.

As you all know it the SVT is almost my final decision and I just wanna know if this car is reliable. I did allot of research of people that have the lightning and I know some people that mod them without NOS to do mid 12's in the 1/4 mile fast ass hell for a truck. so any help or feed back would be Appreciated. :) :D ;) :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :p

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
It's a hopped up F150 with an SVT Mustang engine in it. It'd be like if Chevy put the LS1 V8 from a Firehawk or Corvette into a lowered 1/2 ton short box pickup.

Wutang...as much as I hate to say it, I'd get that Altima. Those things are SWEET.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
You are wrong 97 sport.

SVT is Ford's "tuner" division, sort of like AMG for Mercedes Benz, Motorwerks for BMW, etc. The Lightning is a regular cab F150 flareside with a supercharged 5.4L Triton V8, not the 4.6L n/a Cobra engine. The engine also features cast pistons and other strength adding goodies for reliability under boost. It has been said that you could run the boost up to 30lbs with only minor changes such as injectors, fuel pump etc.

As for the reliability of the truck, it is excellent. The automatic trans that is in the vehicle has been repeatedly touted as the best auto-box on the market, and tests have shown that a manual transmission would actually decrease the performance of the vehicle.

Of course being a "sports car with a truck bed" you do get some cargo capability, but it is very limited. Only up to 800 lbs (which is almost a 1/2 ton) and a towing capacity of around 5000lbs.

Type 90-degree Triton™ V8
Bore x stroke 90mm x 105.6mm
Displacement: 5,410cc/330cid
Compression ratio: 8.4:1
Horsepower: 380 hp @ 4,750 rpm
Torque: 450 lb/ft @ 3,250 rpm

SUSPENSION
FRONT: Short- and long-arm type, coil springs, tubular gas-charged Bilstein shock absorbers, 31mm solid stabilizer bar

REAR: Solid axle, staggered gas-charged Bilstein shock absorbers, five-leaf springs, 23mm solid stabilizer bar

BRAKES
FRONT: 12.1 in. (308mm) vented disc, twin-piston caliper
REAR: 13.1 in. (334mm) vented disc, single-piston caliper

WHEELS AND TIRES
WHEELS: 18 x 9.5 in., five-spoke cast aluminum-alloy, painted surface
TIRES: Goodyear™ Eagle F1-GS™, 295/45ZR-18, unidirectional tread; 235/70R-16 spare tire

PERFORMANCE
0-60 mph: 5.8 seconds
Top Speed: 142 mph

Bone stock Lighting's have attained mid 13s in the 1/4 and slightly modded ones (supercharger pulley, intake, exhaust) have scratched the high 12's. Definatley not a vehicle to be taken lightly. And with a skidpad of 0.90g's, it can handle as well. Pretty good for a 4500lb vehicle.

·
Registered
568 Posts
This is a really nice truck, but the one draw back is gas mileage. It's a freakin hog! An Chevy LS1 (F-Body/Vette) gets 19 mpg in the city and like 30 on the highway. the Lightning gets 11/18(I think). Other than that it's a badass! But I definitely wouldn't own one as my only means of transportation. They are useless in the snow.

What made you choose those particular cars? The new maxima is supposed to be a bad little car. Nissan has the Z coming back. You could pick up a new/used S2000 in your pricerange. You can buy a new Camaro/Firebird with the LS1 or even a used Vette. I give the LS1 two thumbs up! It's like no other engine!!!

But hey the Lightning is a really nice truck. A serious asshauler!

Personally I'm waiting to see the new crop of Chryslers coming for 2004. I know my Trep can hold out for that :)

Buschman

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
The only reason an F-body gets 30mpg on the freeway is because of the skip-shift feature and the ultra-low 6th gear. I test drove one and at 70mph the tach was at 1500rpm in 6th!

·
Registered
568 Posts
In my opinion the LS1 is the best designed pushrod engine ever engineered. Unlike the 4.6 and 5.4 ford V8s the LS1 is extremely clean. Look underneath a mustang sometime. There are 6, count em, 6 catalytic converters. The LS1s have two and they are relatively free flowing cats. You can only scavange 1 maybe 2 horse power from removing them. The Stang picks up like 10-15 cause it needs those cats to really clean out the exhaust.

The T56 Borg-Warner 6 speed trans in the F-Body and Vette is a true peice of work. The skip shift doesn't effect highway mpg it is to help out the city gas milage. If you run the LS1 hard you won't even come close to 19 mpg. My lowest so far has been 14. But if you drive it normally(which is still quicker than 90% of the cars out there anyways) you will observe incredable gas mileage. My best so far is 31 mpg. That's 6th gear is a life saver I'll tell you that :) Also the LS1's torque allows it to run ultra low Rpms without bogging out. I mean I'm doing 1500 rpm at 70mph. And if you punch it it will roll!

Awesome engine.

Buschman

p.s. What is that so cool about an engine that has it's own name??? :D Hemi, LS1m stroker. It's just so cool.

·
Registered
415 Posts
How much do you plan on getting for your sweet intrepid? Do you plan on selling it yourself? I am going to get rid of my intrepid soon do to the fact that its given me an assload of problems because of the shitty put-back job done by the previous owner's mechanic because of a wreck.

Any mechanical problems with your car? I may be interested in purchasing it.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Bah! LS1 this LS1 that, I have known a few guys in the LS1 circle and they freely admit that a good old 5.0L Ford rod pusher is more accepting to modifications than the LS1.

The 4.6L is a good motor too, the Lincoln Mark VIII LSC used a version of it in 1997 and 1998 with a proven 310-320hp, with an underrated factory rating of 290hp. (Back then the F Twins were making 305hp.)

Now I am not knocking the LS1, it is an excellent motor, but it is far from the "God of All Engines" you make it out to be. There are others out there just as good, if not better.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Originally posted by Starscream:
Friend- My geo storm will hold, its a POS, but i've had many bolts fall out at higher speeds. No problems yet.

ME- DUDE!! We're taking the 'trep next time we go to gameworks in ybor!
how is Gameworks over there? I've been by it a few times, just never gone in. I ought to ride over there with my son and check it out.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Originally posted by LHSer:
Bah! LS1 this LS1 that, I have known a few guys in the LS1 circle and they freely admit that a good old 5.0L Ford rod pusher is more accepting to modifications than the LS1.

The 4.6L is a good motor too, the Lincoln Mark VIII LSC used a version of it in 1997 and 1998 with a proven 310-320hp, with an underrated factory rating of 290hp. (Back then the F Twins were making 305hp.)

Now I am not knocking the LS1, it is an excellent motor, but it is far from the "God of All Engines" you make it out to be. There are others out there just as good, if not better.
|Argh, there are so many things wrong with this post I don't know where to start. One I never said the 4.6 was a bad engine, all I'm saying is it's just not in the LS1's league. But I'll get to the 4.6 in a second. You talk about the Lincoln Mark VIII version of the engine which you say they underrated? I'm calling BS on this one. Why would Ford underrate their engine? Especially in a luxury sedan, it makes no sence whatsoever. Repeated Dyno runs have shown that not only does Ford OVERrate the 4.6L but GM seriously underrates the F-Bodies LS1. Why underrate the F-body? It makes since, they don't want the F-Bodies advertised horsepower to tread on sacred Corvette territory. So your 305 number is completely bogus. Ls1s are generally putting out 330-360 bhp, in stock form(no ram air or exhaust packages like the SS or Firehawk).

The 4.6 is not a horrible engine. It's saving grace is not in it's ability to produce power but in loyal followers who's interest in the Mustang have given it a serious aftermarket. Ford has been trying to make this little 4.6 work for years and they continue to fall short. they are just now getting into LT1 territory. But they are a long way off from the LS1. You have to look at what they've tried to do with this engine. Remember the 2000 Cobra? No? I guess that's cause they never made a 2000 cobra cause they had so much trouble with the 99 Cobra. the fact is they were advertising big numbers but the 99 Cobras weren't dynoing at nearly the hp they should have. I mean you're paying big bucks to upgrade your GT to a Cobra and you're only getting an additional 5-10 actual horsepower? That model got yanked quick! They have tried single and dual overhead cams and still can't get their numbers where they need to be to run with the LS1s.

Whoever your friends are that don't know how to mod LS1s really need to do a little more research. They are very moddable engines. And they do more with less. The fact is the ONLY way Ford gets stock engines above 300 horsepower nowadays is with superchargers. Talk about not taking mods well. The fact is, whats the first thing most drivers want to mod when they get a V8 engine? The exhaust! Just about everyone wants to hear that nasty V8 sound. Well like I said earlier Ford engines burn really dirty. Therefore to meet emission standards they have a restrictive exhaust. On a Stang and X-pipe(or H if you got the 5.0) and mufflers can get you 20-30 horepower where as the same setup in an F-Body will get you around 15 hp. Now the trick is they seriously restrict the air going to the LS1. You can scavenge 20 horse power by upgrading your MAF sensor and intake lid. The major diffence is that the 5.0 and 4.6 have been out for 20 and 8 years, respectively. The LS1 has only been out for 3. So there just isn't as much on the market for them yet. Give it time. You're talking about an all alumimun 350 horsepower V8 engine. Let's give props were props are due.

Damn this is getting too long. I'll leave it at this for now.

Buschman

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Man I love these spirited discussions.

Ford can't produce more than 300hp n/a? The 2001 Cobra is 320hp, and I have seen internal and private party dyno sheets with runs of 275-295hp at the wheels, add on the generally accepted 15% and that makes for 316-339 flywheel horsepower with some factory freaks pulling 300 at the wheels. (345 flywheel.) I have yet to see a dyno sheet of a bone stock LS1 pull the magical 360 flywheel hp, but I have seen upwards of 350.

As for the people I have run into with the LS1's that they say aren't as accepting as the 4.6L or even the LT1, one runs a mid 12s LT1 powered Caprice, and the other a high 12s LS1. They know thier stuff.

Lets just finish things by saying that if it wasn't for Ford inventing the pony car genre, there would be no such thing as the Camaro/FBird and we wouldn't be having this debate.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey LHser im going to have to agree with you. But have you been giving Buschman Some crack. Because he is doing allot of yacking without the backing. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
hey LHSer....you're right. i'm not gonna get in to the debate over the ls1/lt1/4.6 et al, i'm just gonna give apologies where they're due. the only time i've heard of a SVT F-150 that's the explanation i heard and it was from some yahoo over at moparchat who posted it. i suppose in the future i'll look at more than one info source before i stake a claim such as the one i made earlier in this post. hope my lack of knowledge didn't confuse anyone and i'm glad LHSer had the real info to throw out.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Originally posted by Wutang15m:
Hey LHser im going to have to agree with you. But have you been giving Buschman Some crack. Because he is doing allot of yacking without the backing. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Who are you talking about? If you wanna talk smack bring it son. I don't need an LS1 to take out your rolling juke box.

Buschman

·
Registered
568 Posts
Thought i'd just share what Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords is printing in their magazines. It was the sidebar for an article on the Bullitt (November '01).

"It pains us to say this, but a faceful of tailights is what you may get if you race a Camaro SS with stock Bullitt. Or GT. Or Cobra. We flinched a few years back when we tested a stock LS1 Z28 and it went 12.89 at 108. But we attributed some of that to the cold, mineshaft air on our test day. No way was this SS going to run 12's in the heat.

Oops. It went 12.96 at 107.43 in lousy air with a near-full tank of fuel, not to mention a 13.06 at 108.71 and a 13.08 at 107.67 later in the hottest part of the day. With any kind of air, the SS might have gone 12.70s or better. On stock radials.

Back at Crazy Horse, it pumped 321 horsepower to the rear wheels on the Dynojet. Are you feeling ill yet? That's 42 more horsepower than the last Cobra we tested and more than 82 more than the Bullitt. But gee Uncle Henry, it only has one camshaft.

Pricing? Base Z28 coupe: $21,645. SS option: $3950. Destination: $575. Total: $26,170. Our's had a few extras like leather and topped out at 29-large.

Now, don't kill the messenger. We're not advocating seller your Mustang to buy a GM product so please don't cancel your subscriptions. This is just to open your eyes and those of the folks at Ford engine development and Team Mustang. We've been waving the Blue Oval banner for decades, fighting the good fight and spending thousands of our hard-earned dollars evey year to whip Bowtie butt. But it's time for Ford to send in the reinforcements. We can't do it on our own, guys. -J.C."

That's your mag saying this not me. So still think you've "seen" a stock cobra pull 295 to the rear wheels? Doubtful.

Buschman

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Buschman You still yack too much. Anyways just wait until i get my lightning and then i will smoke the hell out yah, then we will see who is talking. Plus have you ever heard of the rousch mustang it looks a hell allot better than the ss camaro i drove one theyre are not bad.

And no doubt that they are faster than the cobras. But the material of the car is crap not to mention i just dont like the way the interior is, also the interior of the mustangs are very ugly to but the svts lightnings look allot much better. we will just have to wait and see. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
I have seen those numbers with my own eyes, if you don't want to believe me, well, then thats that.

All I was trying to do was point out that there are other routes than the LS1 and it is not the God motor you think it is. I could name a few engines that would stomp all over an LS1, most notably any Mopar wedge, any Hemi (there was others than just the 426), Ford 427 SOHC, 351 4v, and there are others. Hell a 289 in a Sunbeam Tiger would give an LS1 powered F-Body a hell of a run.

But I know what you are going to say, those are old cars and engines and they don't make them anymore. Well after the 2002 model year they won't make the Camaro/FBird anymore either. Looks like Ford won, sorry.

I look forward for the 400+hp 2002/3 Mustang Terminator. Now before you whine that it is supercharged, oh well. Power is power no matter how its made.

(PS Thanks Wutang, but I don't need you to fight my battles.)

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I hate ford.

Super/turbocharging IS cheating, But if we bring it into fair game, there are a couple of 4Cyl 2.2 & 2.5 Dodge minivans that pull a Mean mid 12 at the strip.

Really, anything goes with a 'boosted' engine.
Dodge Dakota
Umm. Just go You gotta see this one

1 - 20 of 31 Posts