DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all , wife said the intrepid caught on fire, well after a call to 911, it seems the pressure cap at the front of the engine blew off, and blew up the coolant, hence the "SMOKE" ok i am stumped what does this mean water pump, or oil pump failure she did hear a clunk and had a oil light when it blew?:poopoo: Ps the picture is the cap that blew off, i siliconed it back on for now [not driving the car], does this mean the water pump is shot , no coolant leaks ,i can see .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
without a picture of the damage,, its so hard to say,, id suspect the coolant outlet gave way,, but so hard to tell

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
yep,, thats what happened,, silicone will not hold,, there not very expensive,, put a new outlet on,, and see what happens

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2.7 coolant outlet

thanks Dr Dodge, i will take your advice, you think the water pump is ok?:thankyou:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2.7 coolant outlet fixed

fixed the outflow/bleeder valve, went ok, if anyone else is contemplating doing it, not too bad of a job, for a newbie. i bought the part at auto-zone $38.17, i could not flush the cooling system, i let the dealer do that .:smoking

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
fixed the outflow/bleeder valve, went ok, if anyone else is contemplating doing it, not too bad of a job, for a newbie. i bought the part at auto-zone $38.17, i could not flush the cooling system, i let the dealer do that .:smoking
Yeah, common issue's on 2.7s with the outlet housing blowing. Mine did around 60k miles. It didnt really blow as much as it leaked. But I replaced the whole pipe with the newer style from the dealer. IIRC Dorman makes the older style outlet, which you got. It should last awhile.

·
Premium Member
17,326 Posts
...IIRC Dorman makes the older style outlet, which you got. It should last awhile.
Not according to some people who've BTDT. In future avoid getting any critical parts in the Dorman brand IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've just joined DI.net, and I'd like to say howdy everyone.

Having heard all the horror stories about the 2.7L engines, I was thrilled when coolant started draining from the weep hole at the thermo housing. The car was running fine when I parked it, and I didn't start it again - in an effort to avoid engine damage.

The parts were purchased (Water Pump, Oil Pump, Timing Chain & Cam Sprockets, Primary Tensioner, Intake/Bleeder housing, and all gaskets).

Tear down and parts replacement went smoothly, as did reassembly. I was pleased to see that no coolant found its way to the crankcase.

Now the car won't start! No trouble messages from the onboard DTC (Except "done")

I did make one bonehead mistake, I forgot to plug in the coils after re-installing - I'm getting forgetful in my old age.

Of course I tried cranking the engine. (at least there were no nasty sounds, like valves crashing into pistons).

Any Ideas anyone? This thing couldn't simply be flooded, could it?

·
Premium Member
17,326 Posts
There are a ton of posts over the years describing a no-start after replacing the timing belt on the 3.2/3.5 - haven't seen so many on the 2.7 chain - likely because there are ten times more 3.2/3.5 timing belt changes than 2.7 chain changes.

If memory serves, usually in those discussions, replacing the cam or cank sensor restores the engine to running conidtion. Not sure why that would be - just reporting the fact.

(In case anyone is getting ready to say it, the cam sensor on the 2.7 does not have the paper spacer or otherwise require setting that gap.)

You might try removing the cam sensor to see if it will start then - sometimes that will be the case. If it still doesn't start, then the crank sensor is suspect.

You might check that the sensor supply voltage is working (+5 volts on the '02). Report back if that's not good for ideas on that.

If you do replace any sensors, use OEM only - aftermarket ones are found generally not to work well at all on these cars.

Also check for wiring problems from the work you did (pinched, not connected, scraped insulation/shorting, etc.).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for the info PEVA, I will check each item you indicated.

Also, my apologies for the multiple (3) identical postings, it won't happen again.

·
Premium Member
17,326 Posts
Thank you for the info PEVA, I will check each item you indicated.
You're welcome.

Also, my apologies for the multiple (3) identical postings, it won't happen again.
3!! I only saw the two. If I'd known it was 3 places, I'd have really reamed you. Just kidding - I was just letting you know.

Let us know what you figure out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Peva,
I checked the cam sensor had some corrosion on the contacts, cleaned it up and she fired right up. The chain chattered for a few seconds, and then smoothed out once oil got to it.

It was running a little rough, like one cylinder wasn't firing. Checked for trouble codes and got P0206.
Cleaned the contacts on fuel injector #6, and it's running like a new.

Can't thank you enough - My appreciation!!

·
Premium Member
17,326 Posts
Glad to hear. You're welcome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts