DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing looks to be on in my car yet my battery is dead in the morning, anyone have an idea on what it might be?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,338 Posts
First step, test the battery; could be as simple as a bad battery.

Also, while your at it, check the battery connections for corrosion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my second battery, we just replaced the connections but there were sparks when we attached the positive lead even though nothing was on, thanks

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,338 Posts
This is my second battery, we just replaced the connections but there were sparks when we attached the positive lead even though nothing was on, thanks
Disconnect the negative lead from the battery. Connect a test light between the negative cable (while disconnected) and the negative battery post.

The light will be on if there is enough draw to kill the battery.

Pull fuses and replace them one by one. Look for the test light to go out when you pull a fuse. If it goes out, you've isolated the circuit that the draw is on. Do the same test again with whatever is on that circuit by unplugging each component; test light goes out when component is unplugged; thats your problem.

I've seen the headlight switch do it; and the radio in the past.

·
Premium Member
16,507 Posts
Also check that brake lights aren’t stuck on. May sound like a dumb suggestion, but people have missed noticing brake lights being stuck on, especially in day time. If brake light switch gets out of adjustment, brake lights will stay on even with ign. switch off.

Spark when reconnecting battery isn’t meaningful by itself - that’s normal because some things are on briefly when power is first applied (also, some years sound the horn for a fraction of a second when battery connected). Be aware that certain of the computers may turn on and stay on for several minutes after ign. switch is turned off (FSM mentions that - may vary by year). That can make it difficult troubleshooting a battery drain problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts