DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... the passenger rear strut just self destructed. The 'cup' holding the bottom portion of spring rusted out and I am concerned about removing the pinch bolt. I would like to know if mapp gas will be hot enough or whether I am going to have to use oxy/acetyline. I have an old hardly used torch and regulators but no tanks. If the bolt breaks then I have real problems. Someone in an old post mentioned that if the bolt breaks take a cutoff tool and cut the bolt in half and then use a screwdriver to take out the unthreaded portion and drill out the threaded part. Sounds good, but will it really work since the head of the bolt will no longer be around plus the unthreaded portion is probably rusted in place. I am really concerned that this bolt is going to break no matter what I use due to the age of the car. Also if I get this far, what brand should I buy, have choice of Monroe, Gabriel, KYB or MOOG.

·
Premium Member
16,679 Posts
I’ve never had the pleasure of having to mess with this pinch bolts, but I’m partial to KYB struts myself. Rock Auto used to periodically put them on wholesaler closeout with very good pricing - don’t know how often that occurs, but if you can catch one of those you could save some $$.

·
Registered
343 Posts
soak it down for a few days it might break. one way or the other.
but, yes, it'll have to get red to burn off the rust to free it.
big enough mapp might do it, if it's like an acteylene turbo torch.
just might take a bit to get there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know the size of the bolt that holds the lateral link to the car on a 2002 Intrepid. I need to know the torx bit size for the bolt. Rear suspension.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts