DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I'm a newbie and a frustrated 2002 Dodge Intrepid owner. I got the car 2 months ago and everything was great but now when I come to a complete stop the car at times won't shift, I have to shut it off and restart and then it shifts fine again.. I took it to a repair shop and they ran a diagnostic test on it and this is what he wrote down.." Upon inspection found 2 engine DTC's P0440, P0456 upon further inspection found 1 transmission DTC P1776 and also found O-D clutch volume Index is at 122 which is way out of spec."
He informed me I needed a whole new transmission and it was gonna cost me $2600. dollars..:baller: OUCH!!!
I'm having a hard time believing the tranny is that bad off, The car drives fine 99% of the time and it just started acting up 2 wks ago... Anyone have any input Id greatly appreciate it..

·
Woober Goobers!
51,014 Posts
sell u a trany for 900 and what ever the shipping is
What a rip-off! Used relatively low mileage transmissions can be had for as low as $250!

·
Woober Goobers!
51,014 Posts
hey buddy find a trany for 250 and get back to me
Here ya go "Buddy"....... Courtesy of car-part.com in my home state of AL. Pick-N-Pull type of yards are even cheaper. Original poster is in California and you're in Canada. Shipping would probably be outrageous!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Hi everyone I'm a newbie and a frustrated 2002 Dodge Intrepid owner. I got the car 2 months ago and everything was great but now when I come to a complete stop the car at times won't shift, I have to shut it off and restart and then it shifts fine again.. I took it to a repair shop and they ran a diagnostic test on it and this is what he wrote down.." Upon inspection found 2 engine DTC's P0440, P0456 upon further inspection found 1 transmission DTC P1776 and also found O-D clutch volume Index is at 122 which is way out of spec."
He informed me I needed a whole new transmission and it was gonna cost me $2600. dollars..:baller: OUCH!!!
I'm having a hard time believing the tranny is that bad off, The car drives fine 99% of the time and it just started acting up 2 wks ago... Anyone have any input Id greatly appreciate it..
P1776 can be solved with a valve body and or, (In some cases), a solenoid pack. The solenoid is attached to the valve body with four screws.

As for your Clutch Volume Index in O.D. Did this transmission tech happen to mention what the other values are? To properly diagnose a transmission, you need to know 4 values.
L/R = Low Reverse Piston, generally in the neigh of 30 - 60 with 60 being a threshold value indicating either wear or leakage. (Back of the trans case) and adjustable.
2/4 = This piston is the next one moving forward. Again, general normal values can range from 30 - 60 but, as a general rule I like this one at 50 or less. Not adjustable.

U/D = Underdrive piston is the set physically closest to the front of the transmission. And as with the previous sets this value can vary from 25 - 65 but, I like to see this no higher than 60 on the average. Adjustable

O/D = Overdrive is the set that is next to U/D which, on average has a CVI over 100 and in most cases I've seen has been around 130. Adjustable.

So, for me to believe your trans tech, he had better come up with a better reason to scrap the existing transmission than 122 in O/D.

The P1776 does not require transmission removal, just the valve body. The only part of this that most folks find daunting is the two accumulators that also fall out in the process. There are several good threads here that have instructions on how to replace the valve body and not lose your mind in the process. However, be advised that there have been a number of faulty valve body/solenoid units from both the dealer and aftermarket so, cross your fingers after replacing it to ensure you don't have to do it twice or more!

EDIT:

If you just bought this do you have any guarantee from the company who sold it to you? Or was this from an individual?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Here ya go "Buddy"....... Courtesy of car-part.com in my home state of AL. Pick-N-Pull type of yards are even cheaper. Original poster is in California and you're in Canada. Shipping would probably be outrageous!

i just had a whole motor shipped for 250....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the Input, Problem has been solved by replacing the solenoid pack, Cost me less then 400. for part & installation..She's driving like a dream..." I'm so happy, I really like my car" Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Thank you all for the Input, Problem has been solved by replacing the solenoid pack, Cost me less then 400. for part & installation..She's driving like a dream..." I'm so happy, I really like my car" Thanks again.
I'm glad to hear this was not as bad as a whole trans!

Be sure to recheck the transmission fluid a few times over the next couple weeks. The pan seal can develop a small leak and cause other issues. Not that you will have a leak, it's just a good idea to keep an eye on this after this kind of work being done.:spiders:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you

I'm glad to hear this was not as bad as a whole trans!

Be sure to recheck the transmission fluid a few times over the next couple weeks. The pan seal can develop a small leak and cause other issues. Not that you will have a leak, it's just a good idea to keep an eye on this after this kind of work being done.:spiders:
I will Thanks a bunch.I did have it flushed and new fluids put in, The pan was clean, no metal flakes " believe this is good"

I had got the car from a car dealer here in Lancaster, CA. it only had a 30 day and this of course was up when tranny started acting up, I'm so glad it wasn't expensive... :thankyou:

·
Banned
35 Posts
i also did the solenoid pack on my 04 its really not that hard to do and i was just saying i have a tranny for sale im not a junk yard and wouldnt sell my for 250

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
sure you did bud
Used Trans for me Cost me 100 bucks out of a 2.7 with 70K miles. Sold the gear set for 50 bucks and charged 50 bucks to put it in. So I got a Trans for $0.:baller:

30K miles later I'm still good.

Get Some!:thankyou:

·
Registered
727 Posts
yeah does the motor run with low miles ?
i was just refering to the shipping price....

250 for a tranny plus 250 for shipping is still 5 bills. was my only point.

i got a core 3.5 for 150 + 250 shipping.

im sorry i said anything though this thread is one big argument.
way to help the newbie ...show him what were made of.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.