DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
141 - 155 of 155 Posts

· Registered
587 Posts
I noticed the cost cutting when I couldn't find a 2002 Dodge Intrepid R/T with a power passenger seat. Will it have all the functionality if I swap in a RB1? In the Jeep it displays if and when you hit the memory buttons. I can find Jeep RB1's without a problem but wouldn't it display Jeep when the car starts if I put a Jeep one in.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe that functionality was ever in the LHs, nor could it be added. I had a 06 Town and Country RB1 in my 02, and it provided the same functionality as my 04 does. That being said, the EVIC in the Specials will display when you set the memory seats, and might show if you press it altogether (never paid attention). I'm almost positive, as well, that it will display a 'Chrysler' logo instead of a Jeep one. Many of the Intrepid owners who swapped in Special PCMs now see a 'Chrysler' logo when their RB1s pop-up; that seems to be another PCM-dictated feature.

And any RB1 should have the same capabilities as any other; the LH PCM dictates a vast majority of the features. The one notable exception is that the 05 + RB1's can support U-Connect (which was never a feature in the LHs, and obviously 05 RB1's didn't come in them either). Just be advised there, however, that that's a considerable investment to get that functionality.

· Registered
26,121 Posts
Personally I don't see why somebody would spend money on an RB1 while you can get something in the aftermarket that is much better in pretty much every respect for the same coin. With that said, I remember reading that the RB1 reads the vehicles VIN and knows if it's a Dodge, Chrysler or Jeep.

· Registered
587 Posts
*Shrug* To each their own.

I know I thought it was really cool after installing it in the 02. But I started using my phone and never really used the RB1. I think I've used it maybe once in the 04 and it wasn't a option I was intentionally looking for, rather my 04 came with it already; I will most likely be selling mine. But each person is different.

· Premium Member
20,157 Posts
I noticed the cost cutting when I couldn't find a 2002 Dodge Intrepid R/T with a power passenger seat. Will it have all the functionality if I swap in a RB1? In the Jeep it displays if and when you hit the memory buttons. I can find Jeep RB1's without a problem but wouldn't it display Jeep when the car starts if I put a Jeep one in.
yea, the RB1 will show "Chrysler" , my RB4 showed "Dodge" the first time I turned it on,, second time,, "Chrysler"

· Registered
116 Posts
I know its been a while but I didn't feel like making a new thread so I decided to just keep this one going! I read on here somewhere about how 2.7 cooling fans kick on at higher temps than the 3.2 and 3.5s. Well even since I swapped my 2.7 pcm for the 2002 special pcm I noticed that the fans will kick on after a while and never shut off. Is there anyway to change the special pcm's fan temp settings to the 2.7's? I just feel like im burning up the fans because when I kick the AC on I hear them kick to high speed and it sounds horrible!

· Registered
2,762 Posts
I know its been a while but I didn't feel like making a new thread so I decided to just keep this one going! I read on here somewhere about how 2.7 cooling fans kick on at higher temps than the 3.2 and 3.5s. Well even since I swapped my 2.7 pcm for the 2002 special pcm I noticed that the fans will kick on after a while and never shut off. Is there anyway to change the special pcm's fan temp settings to the 2.7's? I just feel like im burning up the fans because when I kick the AC on I hear them kick to high speed and it sounds horrible!
Well crap. I don't know specifically about that. Sorry for not really helping about that problem, but also how/where exactly did you get a 2002 special pcm in your 2.7l trep? I know that many people do the swap, but I have never specifically been told the exact How-To

· Registered
16,287 Posts
Well crap. I don't know specifically about that. Sorry for not really helping about that problem, but also how/where exactly did you get a 2002 special pcm in your 2.7l trep? I know that many people do the swap, but I have never specifically been told the exact How-To
Its not fun....its not easy.

· Registered
16,287 Posts
I just shat myself a little bit, but also I have a 3.5l h.o. 300m platinum. Not a 2.7l. From what I have been able to find it's simply having the "dealer do it" and it shouldn't take more then "an hour of labor" But heck I have no idea and nor am I mechanically inclined to say opposite of.
The motor really has nothing to do with it. It what your car has to run the PCM properly. I wanted mine to be factory correct with no splicing, so I had to replace the dash harness with one that had the SKIM pigtail. If you dont have SKIM, then its not just a matter of plugging it in. The easiest way to do it it to have all three matching items. SKIM, PCM and key. Then, if you have SKIM already, its just plug and play. After I did every thing, a year later I had to test a Special PCM for a member on here and it took me 14 minutes to swap the hardware.

· Registered
2,762 Posts
The motor really has nothing to do with it. It what your car has to run the PCM properly. I wanted mine to be factory correct with no splicing, so I had to replace the dash harness with one that had the SKIM pigtail. If you dont have SKIM, then its not just a matter of plugging it in. The easiest way to do it it to have all three matching items. SKIM, PCM and key. Then, if you have SKIM already, its just plug and play. After I did every thing, a year later I had to test a Special PCM for a member on here and it took me 14 minutes to swap the hardware.
Ah I see, so what exactly should my first steps be on getting a 2002 special pcm. I know that I don't specifically need the 3.89 gears but my speedo will be off a little without them and I will probably do that mod sometime later as well.

· Premium Member
20,157 Posts
Personally I don't see why somebody would spend money on an RB1 while you can get something in the aftermarket that is much better in pretty much every respect for the same coin. With that said, I remember reading that the RB1 reads the vehicles VIN and knows if it's a Dodge, Chrysler or Jeep.
correct,,, when I put in my RB4 the first time on m it said Dodge,,, the next time , Chrysler,

· Registered
26,121 Posts
I'm thinking that your problem lies in one of the little known differences in cars with 2.7 vs 3.5 engines. The 3.5l engines have dual speed fans controlled by the PCM depending on a few variables. The 2.7l cars on the other hand mostly came with single speed fans so they were either on or off. So the special PCM could be sending some "slow signals" to the fans yet they can only run one speed.

Ah I see, so what exactly should my first steps be on getting a 2002 special pcm. I know that I don't specifically need the 3.89 gears but my speedo will be off a little without them and I will probably do that mod sometime later as well.
Find somebody selling a 300M Special PCM with a matching SKIM module and Key. Just so happens I have one for sale that comes with two, programmed but un-cut keys. PM me if your interested.

· Premium Member
19,135 Posts
I'm thinking that your problem lies in one of the little known differences in cars with 2.7 vs 3.5 engines. The 3.5l engines have dual speed fans controlled by the PCM depending on a few variables. The 2.7l cars on the other hand mostly came with single speed fans so they were either on or off.
You sure about that Steph? That would have to be in the PCM programming if true, because the wiring, though different, gives both setups two speed capability - low speed with the lo-speed relay energized, hi speed with both energized.

There is one difference with the later year non-2.7 fan assemblies - the way they are wired would allow the passenger side fan to be run by itself at hi speed if lo-speed relay off and hi speed relay energized. I've never had it confirmed if the PCM takes advantage of that capability - again, the PCM firmware would determine that.

So the special PCM could be sending some "slow signals" to the fans yet they can only run one speed...
If the FSM schematics are right (and I think they are), that isn't correct. The 2.7 fan motors (and also 3.2/3.5 fans on earlier years) each have two windings. Lo speed is one winding powered. Hi speed is both windings powered in parallel.

The other fans achieve lo and hi speed with one winding on each motor. Lo speed is both windings in series (essentially 1/2 system voltage to each motor), hi speed is both windings in parallel (made possible by the two additional relays in the fan assembly)..

· Registered
116 Posts
So is there that big of a difference that would cause the fans to run all the time? Ive heard heard my high speed fans kick on with my 2.7 PCM before but they kick on a hell of a lot more with the 02 special PCM and the low speeds never kick off! Is there anything I can do? I just don't know if its good for the fans to be running so much.

· Premium Member
19,135 Posts
So is there that big of a difference that would cause the fans to run all the time? Ive heard heard my high speed fans kick on with my 2.7 PCM before but they kick on a hell of a lot more with the 02 special PCM and the low speeds never kick off! Is there anything I can do? I just don't know if its good for the fans to be running so much.
See the fan run schedule on p. 7-31 of the '02 FSM. The lo and hi run speed trip temperatures and forced run times are a bit different (generally lower and longer).

141 - 155 of 155 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.