DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Forum. I have a 2003 Intrepid SE. I just Bought New rims. I want to no If I can Put 225/45/17. Most places are telling me to put 225/55/17 or 245/50/17. I know a little about messing with the Speedometer when you change tire size. So Can I put these on or what? If so Do I have to go Get the Computer ZAPPED or something( for the Speedometer)? Thanks for all the help!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :alien: :bigsmile: :cry: :angry:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
You can put them on, but they will be a smaller overall diameter (and thus, circumfrence) than stock. Your speedometer will read faster than your actual speed, and your odometer will display more miles than the car has actually traveled. I can't remember any good tire calculater URLs, maybe someone else can help you out there.

And you can get your speedo recalibrated without too much trouble, but if you ask me it'd just be easier to get better tires.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Since the wheel width is only 7" wide, you should not put 225/45 on, because the nominal width of the beeds is 7.5", and you could fudge it on a car with less weight, but the Intrepid is heavy, and extremely front heavy. This is very bad for the tire when it is mounted on a narrow wheel.

Keep 225/55 17 as the winter (snow) tire size, and get some 245/50 17 on at least 7.5, maybe 8" wide wheels

1 - 4 of 4 Posts