DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix SE from Menahawkin NJ today. It's very base model, with cloth seats, only the drivers seat is power, the trunk is VERY basic (the light has no where to go so it just hangs there), steel wheels/wheel covers, and the 3.1L 175 horse motor.

Anyone know the reliability on these cars? This particular unit has 72,000 miles on it and is two years newer than my Intrepid, but i've heard stories of 1993 Grand Ams being shitty cars and I don't know if 10 years and better model makes much of a difference. So far it has been really good, it accelerated nicely on the highway, and did not look too bad sitting in the parking lot when I went to order my tuxedo for prom today. The was quiet and smooth, before I turned on the radio. I swear it sounds like subwoofers are back there... I have no idea if it has the Monsoon system or not. My dad wants to get a hold of the guy whos business card was attached to the key to find out more about the car. So far it looks like I just need to wash/wax it, vacuum the interior, shampoo the carpets, clean up the engine bay, change the oil, and I still want/need to check the condition of the sparkplugs battery and air filter. They said the brakes were new, which showed (stopped pretty quick). The interior did not bother me as much as others have claimed, probably due in part to my family owning all GMs (excluding my dads Infiniti Q45), and that I loved our old 1986 Pontiac 6000 STE. I felt right at home again, mostly because some of the things in the car reminded me of it (display telling me which doors were not properly closed) and i got nostalgic. I didn't like the position of the overhead console, it seemed like I had to reach too far back to open the sunglasses compartment.

So far I like the car, and would not mind having it as a replacement for the Intrepid, just gotta have Good Year check it out on monday to see what needs what. Honestly, I will miss my Intrepid deeply and I feel like **** for totaling it out of stupidity. I wish I could reverse time and correct my mistakes, but sadly I can't. As far as I'm concerned, I don't even deserve this Grand Prix. One other thing I'm not fond of is that it is Ivory in color, and I've heard that it is really hard to keep a white car clean, but when you do it is amazing.

Any help as to the reliability/value of this car in the long run will be greatly appreciated. Flames will be ignored.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
one thing you have to watch out for is that Dex-cool crap that is used for coolant, especially in the 3.1 ..... it is supposed to be long life, but it breaks down and also has a tendency to make the intake gasket go bad. Some mechanics suggest a total coolant flush and using regular (green) anti-freeze...As far as Gran Prix's go, the older ones like yours look better than the current model which looks like sh** ..... Other than the coolant issue, not sure since I've owned mainly Mopars.....

·
Registered
625 Posts
They are bascially solid cars. Many seem to need an alternator over time. The electrical in general is weak, but only slightly so. They are solidly built. Resale and reliability is about average, from what I've heard.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i could, i would have it with the newer interior and front fascia (maybe), but i absolutely hate the rear fascias on the 04+ models. luckily the one we got was built after they made spoilers standard across the spectrum of trim levels, so it does not appear naked :biggthump . I wish it was at least a GT, because then it would have the 3.8 motor which is a solid motor, my sisters Regal had that one, unfortunately it threw two connecting rods just after 101,000 miles, which is pretty good anyway if you think about it, and she stomped all over it when she had it.

so far i think it would be a suitable replacement for the Trep (i can live without all the bells and whistles the trep had.... eventually), we just need to get an insurance card and some kind of registration so i dont get thrown in jail if i get pulled over... i had to drive it home from Menahawkin with the front plate in the trunk! lol i freaked out whenever i saw an old couple driving a crown vic or its mercury counterpart

what about the electrical issues? i've heard that pre 1997 grand ams had lots of trouble (Randy's parents 93 GA). my sisters Regal shat on her one time when the alternater died, i dont want that happening to me! (Regal and Grand Prix are almost the same car, with aesthetic differences)

thanks for the coolant thing, i'll ask a couple garages about that later (Good Year and CarTek, i trust CarTek more)

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maverick9110E said:
hehe good luck with this one, hopefully it last longer then your streak of 1 year. still coming to carlisle?
go suck an egg :gun5:

lmao and yes ill probably still go to carlisle, obviously only for saturday though as i dont wanna pay for 3 days worth of parking. i have to find out if my registration for the fun field is still worth anything though. obviously i cant park on the fun field since its a General (always wanted a General though) instead of a Mopar, but if my two tickets for the whole weekend still holds true, or if i can have it refunded... although last year the dude thought the trep was a stratus, what mopar you think i can pass off as? :all_cohol maybe have seb meet me with his stash, take off the Grand Prix and Pontiac decals.... :eyemouth:

i already found a set of 16" wheels that look good on an 03' GP, just need $800 of spending money after insurance hikes and deductables and whatnot, i make a measly $7.75 at Kohl's THOUGH ISHOULD HAVE BEEN PAID MORE FOR RUNNING THE MENS DEPARTMENT TODAY GRRRR loser customers are lazy half-asses and act like they're king of the world *growls* /hijack

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Resale is on par with Intrepids......in other words LOW.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, the trep is older with more miles, and the check the insurance company will cut us for it is enough to buy the Grand Prix (still gotta have it checked out) and have basic maintenance done, hopefuly. dunno if all this deductable business will change that cause i dont have a lot of money as it is

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grand Prix went to Good Year today, and they said it was (despite needing a oil change, 2000 miles overdue by my schedule) in excellent condition. I had nothing to do today so i gave it a bath and put on some wax. Damn was that thing filthy, one swipe of the sponge revealed an entirely different (brighter) shade of white... wow

And yes, I am fully aware of any defects to be found in these pictures.

It's an SE, lowest trim level.

Looking for alloys, but with my financial situation that might never happen.

Interior is decent, I don't like the guages during the day, but at night they're neat, red in color, like most Pontiacs these days.

Almost clean, I need to use bug and tar remover, big time.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I don't like the gauges during the day and especially not at night, really hard on the eyes.

On a side note.....I was driving by some people test driving an '04 Grand Prix and they couldn't take their eyes off of my car :p I don't think they should be buying that car if they're oogling over a lower priced car :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts