DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my wife's 04 intrepid there's a hose connnected to (i think its called the plenum) and the connector gets sucked in when the car is running. What is this hoses purpose?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,801 Posts
It is the vacuum source for the evaporative emissions system that pulls fuel vapors out of the canister through the purge valve - see diagrams below.

From the FSM - showing evap system. Red arrow points to the line (15) that connects to that elbow just forward of the throttle body (not shown):

From parts pdf file - showing complete vacuum system. Red line identifies the vacuum line going from throttle body to the purge solenoid:

Reactions: Ronbo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so if its getting sucked in at the elbow what all could that do? Would the car lose power or lower fuel economy? Or what else?

·
Premium Member
17,801 Posts
Your engine idle will be high because there will be extra air entering downstream of the TB butterfly, and you'd likely get an evap. system fault code.

·
Premium Member
17,801 Posts
Sorry - the symptoms I mentioned would be for if the elbow were to split open and leak air. If it's only collapsing and not leaking, you wouldn't get a code unless it collapsed enough to greatly restrict or totally shut off its air flow.

No name that I know of. Everybody just calls "that vacuum elbow on top of the plenum in front of the throttle body". :)

·
Premium Member
17,801 Posts
Here's a recent thread on the same part, except on the 3.2/3.5: Intake Manifold Vacuum Hose Connection

My guess is that it's the exact same part as on the 2.7. Post nos. 2 and 3 give a part number for a Dorman part that supposedly fits, and a suggestion to consider finding a factory one in a salvage yard with some 2nd gen LH cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts