DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Intrep with a 2.7. I was looking at getting a cold air intake. I would like more performance, without loosing mileage. Looking at cold air intakes it looks as if I buy a k and n, it may help. THere is also a guy on e-bay that sells some sensors that are suppose to give up to 20 hp. When I purchased the car it already had a drop in k and n filter in the stock box.

Based on this, what works and what should I get? It already has a magnaflow muffler, single exhaust with a resinator. Put the resinator on because I didnt like the sound of the exhaust.

·
Registered
105 Posts
ok.... k&n intake..... well made..... works well.....

IAT chip..... bad.... its a 10 ohm resistor tat fools your ecu into thinking that the intake temp is colder than it is, allowing it to slightly advance the timing to put some more juice into it.....

the iat relies on fluctuation of temperature, when it stays the same all the time it will usually throw a CEL, and put the engine into a safe mode, eventually hindering the preformance......... overall.... save the cash for the .005c resistor get a good intake...... that engine loves to roar

·
Registered
3 Posts
no dont get it i have the same stuff on my car that you have its not worth it the chip does nothing trust me my friends make them with paper clips

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
K&N or JoeKD intakes will be your best bet they've been proven over and over again.

Stay away from the promises of cheap, easy HP...there is no such thing.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Ebay chips=junk, waste of time/money, snake oil, gimmick, pos. Am I missiing anything? Yeah, just like Hellspawn said. Its a resistor to modify the signal from the IAT to simulate a cold air condition. YOu may see a little more punch because the computer compensates for cold air by adding more fuel as well as more timing advance. Cold air is denser (more oxygen molecules in a given amount of air) and to keep the proper a/f ratio more fuel would be needed. However, more than likely a trouble code will be set because other conditions will point to the IAT as being faulty. Things like the O2 sensors showing a rich condition and the CTS showing the coolant temp is hot. And I believe there is also an ambient temperature sensor that monitors outside temps. So those 3 inputs will all be contradictory to what the IAT is showing.
I too have a K&N drop in and am considering building a less restrictive intake. I was at autozone the other day and they have a kit from Spectre for $40 that has a 3" diameter tube about 18" long with about a 45 degree angle on it and one coupler. I did some measuing this weekend and I thing that if I cut it into 2 pieces and getting one more coupler, I can fit it between the stock box and the throttle body. As soon as I can free up some loot I'm on it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i dunno it is a computer there boss but i you better be ready tio shell out a grand for it. :bash: :bash: :bash: :eek6: with that much money i could get a few other things that would do some improving that and i am not all that confident in them. to many frauds' like all have stated in the previous. unless someone has used one and can vouch for it. i am a bit skeptical sounds like everyone else that claims fast efficency and quick HP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts