DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dropped oil pan 4 times and cleaned /flushed cylinder heads three time. the oil pan/ windadge tray was fairly sludge free, but the cylinder head was a mess from a half inch to a full inch of baked on sludge and most of the cylinder head drains clogged up. I used rifle brushes to clean up the oil drains.

well despite getting half a pan of sludge out the engine. after I put it together the car it will run for 5 to 10 minutes or a few miles then mystery sludge show up in the engine that was clean prior to reassembly including the oil pickup which was soaked in diesel mixed with gas to break up sludge

whats a good way to get rid of this sludge without dropping the oil pan 5 to 10 times?

Where is this sludge coming from ? the cylinder head and oil pan were clean. Also I cleanup the timing chain area as best I could. Any help is appreciated and pics will be posted Monday

·
Woober Goobers!
51,016 Posts
That's some nasty ass sludge! Are you the original owner or did you buy it used? What mileage?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Seafoam has worked great for me to get rid of sludge.

Are your cooling fans turning on? Bleed the cooling system completely? Excess heat creates sludge and carbon. How are the catalytic converters? If they are plugged you will build a huge amount of excess pressure and heat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the cooling fans turn on and I dont think the cats are clogged. I bought the car and Im the fourth owner but sadly the last owner used cheap quaker state oil. The car has 187000 miles on it and I think some one changed the water pump at some point. I used various cleaners then lastly a mix of diesal and gas to clean up the sludge. The engine is installed in the car and the cyclinder head is very clean at this point. I'll give the seafoam a try when I put it back together. Sadly I been to busy and the car has sat a week and half with the pan removed. other than rock auto anybody know a cheap option for new cats if I need them? and yes I bleed the coolant too

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got it back on the road but now I have smoke that comes from the upper portion of the drivers side exhaust manifold. Do you guys think this could be my Cat? the vavle covers seals have been replaced already

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
drove it again today smoked after warm up from the right exhaust manifold area for 5 minutes or so then stopped. Ran fairly well but had a low idle and flicker of lights on the dash and headlights. Lastly drove for 15 more minutes and all was well idle in park was around 700 rpm and in gear was around 600 rpm. Could my new pcv valve be the cause of the smoke? and how can I clean the IAC to make sure thats not the problem.

·
Premium Member
17,326 Posts
Could the smoke be residue that just needed to burn off? Also, the right (passenger side) manifold is right under where you add oil - if you spill 2 or 3 drops (easy to do), that's where it ends up and will just have to burn off over a day or two.

On flickering headlights, check that the connection at the positive jump post (next to the air cleaner box) is truly clamped tightly (you need to disconnect the neg. jump post before putting a wrench to the nuts on that connection because if the wrench touches surrounding (grounded) metal while on that post, there will be fireworks if the battery circuit is still hooked up). Also check the negative jump post and also connections at the battery itself.

On the 2.7, the IAC motor comes out of the throttle body without having to remove the throttle body. Just use throttle body cleaner to clean it and it's port in the throttle body of all the carbon, then re-assemble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts