DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,516 Posts
most police depts dont like the chev because they cant fit their stuff in it the way they want....ford built theirs for the police....
Yep. Have to agree. For 20 years or more just about every police car was either a Crown Vic, or a Caprice. In the 80's you saw a **** ton of Dodge Diplomats but Dodge quit making a large car that could suit the needs of the police depts etc in the early 90's. GM soon followed suit in 94, but Ford kept on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Haha yea I suppose so...and apparently the 2012 Fords are going to come with an LED Spotlight???

Couldn't find anything about it on the Unity Spotlight Website...has anyone seen one in action or know if they are even for sale yet?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Haha yea I suppose so...and apparently the 2012 Fords are going to come with an LED Spotlight???

Couldn't find anything about it on the Unity Spotlight Website...has anyone seen one in action or know if they are even for sale yet?

I seem to remeber seeing one at Princess Auto (Canadian)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
That's an expensive spotlight!

It may well be more convenient though as the high power spot bulbs tend to have shorter life times than headlight bulbs.

In theory this new Interceptor could have HID headlamps from the SHO as well.....would be a neat option for highway patrol in rural areas. (there's dark...and there's country dark!)

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
i want to know when theyre going to start retiring and selling some of the older polce chargers! those should be pretty cool to drive, it would be even cooler to have one! as long as its one of the v8's

·
Registered
519 Posts
This was the only real Caprice IMO:

>Outdated.

The Statesman chassis Caprice is a damn fine platform for a patrol car, and a badly needed upgrade from the dated W-body Impala. The Aussies have been using this platform for years for their own patrol cars, and they're as tough as the outgoing P71 Corwn Vic, but much more powerful and refined. To boot, they're HUGE:

Have to agree...just another rebaged restroked something else...pretty usual for GM.
lolno. In today's car industry, it's hard NOT to find a platform that ISN'T shared with numerous other models. Chrysler is no different. GM owns Holden/Vauxhall/Opel, they're dipping into their overseas assets for some new models in the NA market. The Zeta/Statesman chassis is one of GM's BEST modern chassis' they've built in decades. The Commodore/Statesman is iconic in Australia, and variants of this platform are sold in the Middle East, South Africa, Asia and parts of Europe under the guise of Chevy, Vauxhall even a few Daewoo models. We got a taste of what the Commodore is like for two model years, with the Pontiac G8, and the wildly popular 5th gen Camaro is pinned on the Zeta platform.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When the chrome was thick and the women were ....

Have to agree...just another rebaged restroked something else...pretty usual for GM.

This was the only real Caprice IMO:

I do agree.

Some info:

1977 Impala Police COPO 9C1 & SEO 9C1

LM1 350 CID V8, 4-bbl Rochester carburetor
K76 61-amp Delcotron generator
F41 Sport Suspension with oversized front and rear stabilizer bars
6C1 Heavy-duty seats
Heavy-duty valve train components
Heavy-duty frame
Heavy-duty suspension (springs, bushings, shock absorbers)
Performance steering gear
Special prop-shaft micro balancing
Heavy-duty brakes with larger rotors and calipers, high-temperature brake pads
15" x 7" heavy-duty steel wheels with speed-rated radial tires
Certified-accuracy police speedometer w/ 2mph increments, 120 mph
Heavy-duty battery
Heavy-duty radiator and transmission oil cooler
Temperature-controlled high volume fan
High capacity coolant pump
8.5" ring gear rear axle (3.08 ratio)

Many were also modified by fleet mechanics to swap the low-emission heads for higher-flow GM heads and dual exhaust, which would significantly increase horsepower.

Big steel bumpers (with upright bumper guards) that were were mounted on huge 3" spring pistons that absorbed minor parking lot impacts with little or no damage. Wide stiff leather-like bench seats that were easy to clean and a huge 20 cubic foot trunk for all your gear. And a real spare tire.

It was easy for the average mechanic to fix everything on these cars. It must have been a dream for the fleet mechanics then. All the parts were dirt cheap. Still are. Minimal electronics except the solid state ignition module.

It wasn't a '66 or '67 Chevelle, but not bad. A quasi-muscle car.

I think going techno/electro/computer-controlled crazy in these new police cars doesn't help if the reliability goes down and fleet repair costs go way up. I read an article many years ago that some departments bought large numbers of the non-computer B-body Impalas with this in mind. Maybe some are still going.

I wish I still had a car like this.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Myself I'd rather have the Charger in police trim it looks right(mean)! To me the Taurus looks like someone just slapped on a lightbar and some decals and called it a police car.
But then again I'm pretty partial to Dodge. Also check out the Michigan State Patrols yearly test of cop cars. The Charger has finished first all but one year since 2006.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I agree with this as well!! Give me that charger man! Why do I think of a camry when I look at the ford in the picture??
Because Ford and Chevy are trying to make their cars LOOK Japanese instead of having making them RELIABLE like Japanese cars.. Douche holes.

·
Registered
364 Posts
[/IMG]
this is what alot of the popo is going to here in northwest Indiana and Illinois by chicago and suburbs......we got this direct from the dealership and it was an all black "interceptor". The window sticker did not call this an Explorer...just a Police Interceptor...which I thought was weird....Working at a collision/autobody repair shop we got to paint the doors white, and do the decals....I got to take the door handles and door panels out....the rear doors have handles inside and outside, but the interior steel braided cable which would operate the inside handles is taped inside a pocket of foam so it cannot be operational....when I took the door panel off a paper fell out of it saying to NEVER install the cable...lol.....DUH!!! The detective who drives this is the autobody shop owners cousin so when he wrecked it a month later we got to fix it...MAN there are a **** load of wires and stuff with the lights under the grill....all the wires were hard wired so we couldn't disconnect them....we had to work around them...made for an interesting time....

·
Registered
364 Posts

and as for that LED spotlight....ITS BADASS!! Will light up the wall in direct sunlight....i got to play with it alot while this was in the shop.....the truck is badass! A LCD guage screen, banging stereo, LED interior lighting, headlights and police lights....ITS ALL LED! It looked super sweet lit up at night! My crappy iphone camera doesn't take great pics so I couldn't get a good one of it at night....

21 - 36 of 36 Posts