5,625 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
50,048 Posts
Or Dambo!

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Talked to the boss about the possibility of moving to day shift. Not sure where it'll go from there. That would leave only an inexperienced tech on nights and possibly an inexperienced machinist (rumor is that he is moving to nights next week). I suggested that I'd like to be on day shift by late fall. After 7 years on nights and constantly working with new kids of varying competence levels I am burnt out. Also most of the time friends of mine get out during the week to hang out, plus pool league and it works put better around holidays and small things like the quarterly company lunches are much better quality on day shift. Something that I've been debating for a long while.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Do what is best for you - 7 years on second shift , You've put in your 'dues'. Switch to days - enjoy life and let work figure it out.

It's not the first time they had a solid employee leave and create an open hole. They will figure it out - but you are staying. With you going to days - they'll deal with the second shift crew, not you.

·
Premium Member
16,702 Posts
I agree with Chris - you've certainly paid your dues.

Ironically, sometimes the most valuable employees get abused because they have unique valuable skills but there isn't enough of them to go around. If your management has some sense, given some time, they will, as Chris said, figure it out. You've let them know it's a serious request. Keep your cool to give them the chance to figure it out, and if they don't, then they have the problem, and the gloves can come off. But most likely it will settle out in your favor without you having to fly off the handle - best if that's the way it comes about.

·
Dain bramaged
7,203 Posts
I've got 16yrs in as an overnight (3rd) shift worker. I'd switch to days but my company offers a shift differential and I just can't afford to at this point. I get the burn out and hard to schedule stuff with friends though.

·
Registered
19,563 Posts
Badass! Hope to see some videos of you playing it!
Yeah, I haven’t recorded any new videos in a while. I’ve been putting together a new “iOS production studio” over the last few months which has really liberated me in a sense, where for the first time in foreeeeever I’m not tied to the desktop computer for multitrack recording. iPadOS and my newly acquired iPad Pro with the new USB-C port, has opened up a whole new world of possibilities as far as music production goes.

I put together this diagram of my “iPadOS rig” after being inspired by some folks over at the Audiobus forums, and r/ipadmusic, and r/iosmusicproduction on reddit. I’ve been learning a ton about synthesis, sound design, music theory, and music production in general lately, and now I’ve been trying to merge all of that with all of my old school knowledge of guitar and multitrack recording and/or jamming.

·
Registered
19,563 Posts
I’ll record some videos soon. Of course I do all this with what little free “EDRo time” I get. I’m with these other guys who are burnt out with work too. Doing double shifts every day and trying to keep a family happy while setting aside time for myself can be a real juggling act.

·
Registered
19,563 Posts

·
Registered
19,563 Posts
Or Dambo!
Ram + Danbo = Rambo?!
Speaking of that, I’ve been using this new modular synth/groovebox called “Drambo” Believe it or not.

Every time I think of it, I think of you guys lol

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
One of the guys in the next department over tested positive for covid yesterday. 6 people in that department have been asked to stay home. Looking out the window from the break room I dont see anyone in that department working. I get the feeling the person may have been on night shift.

1961 - 1980 of 2107 Posts