DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive started my retro. Im doing it in parts when i have time.

Heres the progress on day 1.

Brand new valeo headlights split apart. The glue is soo hard, im gonna have to bake them to remove all of it.

The great guy Denis (terminator101CA) came over and sold and split his new valeo intrepid headlights. its a crazy process, but hes an expert, i just watched. It took me like 3 hrs to carefully remove the glue from the housings.

Thank you once again Denis.

BTW Denis and OThers, how do you insert the reflector back into the housing. I removed it and i nearly tore one mounting clip, i think i may need a new one. Is it just really hard to remove them, but easy to put back together? PM me and ill get u some pics.

Links will be in my sig

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats from today... still in the works... ill keep this thread posted as i go along. Kinda busy this week.
Plus i need to get the bezels dipped..

Anybody know if its a good idea to dip them? im gonna go to a professional place but i just dont want to damage the oem chrome of the bezel. Mine have a little spot where chrome rubbed off or its marked by a sharpie... ill try to clean it. No scratches or anything else.

BTW the bezel is in the last pic, the rover shroud + bezel

I got a little dust on the inner reflector of the headlight. Can i clean it with a wet paper towel?? I dont want to rub off the chrome like the fogs

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Locals,

I gotta buy some new parts. These can be used. I just need them to test the lights when i aim them. I dont wanna take my car headlights apart.

- 9005 bulbs (1 or 2) + 1 or 2 9005 plugs
- 9006 bulb (1)
- 3157 plug, entire car plug, im rewiring it with LEDS so i need a new plug that i can just plug into the car harness. I may get away just with a 3157 plug to led.

Plus ill have to fill up the holes LOL so air doesnt get in before the install.

Let me know ur price and we'll work something out.

Thanks,
Ciprian

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Cip you should have told me so...I have a couple of pairs of 9006-9005 bulbs laying around. Btw why in the world did you take the reflector out ???? You might have messed up the alignment points, I hope not but they're a little hard to pop out. How did you do it, just pulled on them or you unscrewed the aligning bolts , bsc by just pulling you might damage the studs ...anyhow if the plastic balls just popped out of the sleeves then you have to press them back in but be really careful not to brake them. Same as the lense, remember, you gotta go at it but keep an eye so you don't break anything.
If you need any help let me know !! :turn:

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I popped the little ball things off and marked where the alignment bolts sat at the beginning so i could install them later. I had to remove the reflector to add my ballast box under the headlight and how was i suppoed to cut it ??? LOL

Alignment shouldnt be too hard, ill align the projector with the current low beam setup. I have 1 running 9006 so i used that, and the beam is soo sharp with the reflectors so i can see the step and everything in the beam.

Fired up the e55 and it works like a charm through the new lens. I think its the 3 inch lens which helps the beam, i didnt lose any of the colour. The beam is a little faded i guess but the colour and sharpness is stil there.

Thanks once again Denis. Ill get it all together, i asked tfc for some other internal parts just in case some of them break on the install. I should be ok tho.

BTW how did u clean urs? with a damp paper towel? the chrome looks better quality than the fogs. Im gonna cut it up tonight, one side at a time.

Im getting me bolts in a few mins + spacer pipe.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Just use a soft dampened cloth. I would advise you to aim the reflectors in the car so they're close to where they should be before you mount the projectors and aim them using your high beams. I don't know if they come pre-aligned from factory bu I doubt it. Don't be lazy go out and put them in your car , aim them roughly and save yourself the headache of running out of alignment play when fine tuning the projectors. Makes sense right ???

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TERMINATOR101CA said:
Just use a soft dampened cloth. I would advise you to aim the reflectors in the car so they're close to where they should be before you mount the projectors and aim them using your high beams. I don't know if they come pre-aligned from factory bu I doubt it. Don't be lazy go out and put them in your car , aim them roughly and save yourself the headache of running out of alignment play when fine tuning the projectors. Makes sense right ???
ill test them in the car as soon as i get the reflectors cut. Im just gonna install them without the bezel, aim them inside the house with the high beam. Then mount them on the car with no front lens, reaim them (nuts and springs + bolts). then when i like the final results vs the high beam as well ill jb weld the screws so they dont move and start working on the bezel/shroud.

I tested the shroud, it looks amazing, it was made for the trep LOL..

ill take pics of any progress, none so far, still cleaning up the glue. it warmed up a bit somehow and its gummy. So its coming off. Just have a few little areas where the goo wont come out since its such a tight fit.

BTW: once i install the inner reflectors, im not removing them LOL>... i might break some parts the 2nd time around.

Ciprian

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Caleb and Denis.

Ill test the lens too since i should have all of the glue off by then.

I went to home depot today and i couldnt find any screws or springs to attach my projector. Anybody have any suggestions where i can get some 3/16 bolts about 4 inches long and some hard springs that will fit on the bolts. I will check canadian tire tomorrow, i know they have stiff springs in the lock area. Not 100% on the long bolts.

So i cant do anything tonight unfortunately.

I just glued all of the cracked seams on the backside rim, there was only 1 major and 3 minor cracks. All fixed with jb weld.

Ive got to still plan this setup so ill take my time with the projector attachment. Im thinking of using a plate which i can glue to the reflector rear section

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No ace in Canada? at least i dont think so. I just recieved some chrome flanges from a guy in CA.

Im gonna use our local can tire tomorrow and home hardware. They should have the stuff, hopefully.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
He's going to use it to keep the projector tight to the bolts and so he can adjust it bu threading-unthreading the bolts....wich seems a bit weird since he won't need that kind of adjustmen bcs the projector is being mounted on the reflector not the actual housing.. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TERMINATOR101CA said:
He's going to use it to keep the projector tight to the bolts and so he can adjust it bu threading-unthreading the bolts....wich seems a bit weird since he won't need that kind of adjustmen bcs the projector is being mounted on the reflector not the actual housing.. :dunno:
ya Denis is rite...

I decide to use springs and then glue them into place. THats just so i can make any adjustments after i adjust the headlight off the car, and thjen final adjustments on the car. Plus i may not even glue them just in case i find an error. I wanna make them as flexible as possible and the springs seem to be a good idea so far. Even bikes use them and they dont come loose... so i think ill be ok...

I just have to get them first LOL>. just cleaned up all of my stuff from the kitchen.. all taken to my work area in the basement...

wow.. thread got moved...

BTW: im on my laptop, keyboard is horrible.

Ciprian

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2nd part

retro on its way. STill having some fitting issues, but overall not too bad. I think it looks as OEM as its ever gonna get. Im gonna cover up the projector, so light wont leak, right now its held in by tape. So dont flame me LOL

More pics. camera battery died so just 2 pics for now. Ill get more. Tired and im gonna go wash off all of the dust.

Not bad for 4 hrs of work today.
I Need those maxima end caps. !!!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
donor lights?? headlights are from Denis (terminator101CA) brand new set. great units, the lens is very clear, cutoff loses very little colour since its a new lens.

Projectors are e55 single with freznel lens, shrouds are 3inch pacifica.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts