DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if someone could tell me for sure what size tweeters are found in the dash (OEM) for 1996 Dodge Intrepid ES? Thanks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
3.5" full range.

They aren't truly tweeters. It's just a big paper cone that plays all the frequencies (poor things even try to play bass too :( )

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I dunno what the factory speakers there look like, but can't you put bass blockers in them? Might clear up the sound a little bit if it's possible.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
or do it right and put a crossover between the door panels and the dash....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys. The replacement tweeters I have are Rockford Fosgate multidirectional tweeters and I do have the crossovers that go between the receiver and tweeters. I am wondering if I should even bother removing the old tweeters? Also, I know there are some posts on this :) but anybody think of any other creative ways to mount tweeters in the first gen? Thanks again in advance...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen a few like done like that P3P. Did you see the first gen with tweeters in the arm rests?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Nope. Do you have a link you could post? I would like to see some pics. There is also a guy on cardomain who installed tweeters to sit flush near the doorhandle. That looked cool.

·
Registered
196 Posts
the a pillar is an ok place to mpunt them if they are in the arm rest i think they would be a pain in the ass covering them up and such. plus they would be screaming kinda close to your ear ANNOYING.... for a tweeter the dash is kinda a hard spot due to the windshield. the high sound waves will bounce off of it in wierd ways. i would go with your a pillar they are not quite as annoying and with still give you good sound staging and imaging. if your worried with mounting why not go with a pair of rockford fosgate 3.5 inch 2 ways they will mount in the stock location and have you tweeter and 3.5 all in one.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I also saw the Intrepid on SoundDomain that had the tweeters in his door handle pods. That was pretty cool! Now those would be loud, cuz they're much closer to your head than the pillars.

Was a very creative place to put them, though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thump186 said:
the a pillar is an ok place to mpunt them if they are in the arm rest i think they would be a pain in the ass covering them up and such. plus they would be screaming kinda close to your ear ANNOYING.... for a tweeter the dash is kinda a hard spot due to the windshield. the high sound waves will bounce off of it in wierd ways. i would go with your a pillar they are not quite as annoying and with still give you good sound staging and imaging. if your worried with mounting why not go with a pair of rockford fosgate 3.5 inch 2 ways they will mount in the stock location and have you tweeter and 3.5 all in one.
The guy that has installed all my car audio said the samething so that's what I'm having done now. He said the tweeters would cut out a lot of sound as opposed to quality 3.5 in speakers. I'm sure it will sound great but I kinda wanted to have the tweeters mounted. Maybe I can add an amp to power them for a custom setup... I have 3 sets of preouts on my Kameleon receiver.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just picked up my Intrepid and it sounds a 100% better. The improvement was immediately noticeable. I am wanting to make some type of porthole to let the bass out of my trunk. Has anyone noticed how constraining the trunk is? I have a 1000 watt amp and it thumps hard, but it's not getting in the car like I want it to. Does anyone have an idea or something that worked for them? I saw a porthole between the 6x9s (looked like a center channel) with a speaker grill covering it. It was pretty tight and I may do that also.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Yes, I hate how restrictive the trunk is. I also have a 1000w amp and a 400w amp. I am thinking about taking out my 6x9s and putting 2 ports in their place. Next to the ports I will install some small tweeter looking midrage speakers. While I am at it I will also find a way to make that rear deck stop rattling. The 3rd brake light makes a hell of a lot of noise rattling against the rear window....now I just have to stop being lazy and get off my ass. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My rear deck rattles too- I can't stand that.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
trutrep said:
My rear deck rattles too- I can't stand that.
Makes your system sound like a pile of ****. Then you realize you can't see out of any mirrors and your hair is moving, and it's all good. :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh it's definantly worth the trade off!

·
Registered
83 Posts
you can stop the rattles. The easy way is to jam a sock between the CHMSL and the rear glass. The right way is to take out the back seat and rear deck and stick in dynamat and foam to eliminate the rattles.

While you have the back seat out you can remove the deadening material between the back of the rear seat and the trunk. Only then may you experience real bass in an Intrepid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also, Look at the red piece of plastic over the brake light. Mine was lose, so I super glued it and let it dry, and the was the end of the rattles. Another way to make the trunk not as restrictive, is when you put your back seat back in, don't connect the middle part of the seat again. I did that and stuck a small pice of wood in there and I get a lot more air movement into the cabin.:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts