DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recent swap has developed a problem. While driving down the road the engine dies, it starts again after it sits for a few minutes. It has done this about five times at random. No codes come up.
This was a 2.7 to 3.2 swap in a 2000 Intrepid. I used the 2.7 ECU's. I checked all the plugs and wires; it didn't do this before the swap. Any help?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I don't KNOW that 2nd gens had the ignition switch issue, but it is ONE of the few things that will kill a car w/o codes........

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Replace the crank and camshaft sensors.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Replace the crank and camshaft sensors.
I'll second that...sounds a lot like how my 1st gen acted with a bad crank sensor. By far the best place i had an issue was leaving school in downtown Detroit, on the e-way, engine shuts down, and i had just enough speed to coast up the off ramp...into a not-so-hot neighborhood on the west side of Detroit. Luckily, the car had no door handles...so i didn't have to worry about someone just hopping in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the connector on the flywheel sensor with a new one during the swap. I'm not sure I got the wires in the correct order.
1. Would it run if the wires were in the wrong order?
2. What is the correct order of the three wires?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
I replaced the connector on the flywheel sensor with a new one during the swap. I'm not sure I got the wires in the correct order.
1. Would it run if the wires were in the wrong order?
2. What is the correct order of the three wires?
It wouldnt run if the wires werent connected right.

You can also have problems if you didnt solder the wire connections; it will cause the same symptoms as a bad crank sensor.

I would say go back and solder the wires if you didnt do it already, and if that doesnt cure the stalling, try replacing the sensor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It wouldnt run if the wires werent connected right.

You can also have problems if you didnt solder the wire connections; it will cause the same symptoms as a bad crank sensor.

I would say go back and solder the wires if you didnt do it already, and if that doesnt cure the stalling, try replacing the sensor.
Thanks, I soldered the wires when I installed it and I thought I had the wires right. I guess I will have to change it. I removed it when I did the swap and cleaned it and like i said it didn't have this problem with the other engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts