DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Heya Ryan!

I've got a '98 3.2L ES also. The indicated (trip computer) gas mileage has always been really sweet on such a large car -- the baby can cruise on flat ground well over 70mhp and average 30mpg or above. Throw in a few hills, or horse around with the throttle, and the mileage drops fast but it's still very good.

I've just removed both of those stock mufflers behind the rear wheels and put in a single Flowmaster -- it really sounds sweet. Gas mileage will likely stay the same or improve slightly.

If you think your engine is running slightly rich you might try a performance muffler since that should lean it fractionally, assuming the ECM computer doesn't simply put in more juice to compensate. But then more juice to compensate means more horsepower so why argue with that? :)

Marcus
'98 Intrepid ES 3.2L -- slate

· Registered
85 Posts
I'd sure like to see that TSB regarding "Drive Belt -- growl on cold start". Is that the cam drive belt or accessory drive belt(s)? My Intrepid sure does have a deep growling rattle when it's cold.

· Registered
85 Posts
ROFL -- HEY! Don't be dissin' us Florida dudes! :p

OK, there's a deep growling rattle when the engine has been turned off for several hours and has cooled off.

Actually I have taken the Intrepid in to the shop today with the transmission faulting to 2nd gear. The hint, apparently, is that the speedometer doesn't work either -- likely problem is that the speed sensor has quit working. I will call them tomorrow AM right away and mention the growling rattle when the engine is cold so they can at least tell me what it is, and hopefully fix it under my bumper-to-bumper zero-deductible 100K miles warranty. Gotta take advantage of those warranties if you laid out a grand for 'em. ;)

I also need to get them to replace the right front door woofer -- it's buzzing on bass notes. The sound system is nice but I'm suspecting the speakers will not prove durable -- had to replace three speakers on my Grand Cherokee so far under warranty.

-- Marcus

· Registered
85 Posts
Well as I posted elsewhere it turns out that the left-bank catalytic converter had come loose internally. They're replacing it under the standard 8-year/80,000 mile warranty that covers certain emissions items like converters, the engine computer, etc. So NICE to know what the rattle was -- I never thought of a catalytic converter causing it, and could not figure out where the rattle was coming from.

Marcus
'98 3.2L ES

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.