DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All....:smileyvault-newhere

1999 3.2 all put back together BUT...........

Head Gaskets were ordered direct from local Dodge Dealer AND I'm assuming all was right.

MAYBE I GOT THE WRONG HEAD GASKETS???? The below numbers are stamped on the gaskets which are installed now.

Left P/N 4792129ab-g
Right P/N 4792128ab-h

Invoice from dealer shows SAME part numbers excepting the 'g' and the 'h'.

ISSUE: looking down into torqued down cylinder head, the place where the oil drain down ports drain oil back to the oil pan are BLOCKED OFF where I would expect to see a hole going down past the head gasket plate. My OLD gaskets have a hole and would be visibly open. Dealer says 'no superceding' gasket was sold to me and that it is the 'correct' part number.

FACTS:
DONOR block from 99 Concorde, 3.2 from salvage. Identical to 99 Intrepid 3.2 which was a cracked block, production date of the concord block 10/98 and production date of the intrepid block was 07/98. Dealer says NO CHANGES from 98-02 on this block so interchange would not be an issue.

Original Heads, pistons, crank/rods from Intrepid block.
ALL Compared and visually inspected by me BUT long intervals between assembly stages due to time;

does anyone have PICTURES of these gaskets by these EXACT part numbers?

I don't have assembly pictures because my phone got repaired and I lost all those pictures of disassebly and NEW assembly at that stage. I layed out the OLD head gasket on top of the right cylinder bank to illustrate the holes on the OUTBOARD exhaust side that are shaped like a lower case 'b' laying on its back which I would expect to be the oil drain down galley from the head to the oil pan.

any input would be appreciated!
Pete

Attachments

·
Woober Goobers!
49,562 Posts
Is it possible you swapped gaskets? As in put the left gasket on the right side?

·
Woober Goobers!
49,562 Posts
I believe it's possible. I remember reading about 1 or 2 threads that discussed this possibility.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Having rebuilt a 3.2 engine, you do have to watch orientation of the gaskets when installing them. I believe they're marked as to which end goes toward the front of the engine on each side. I made the same mistake once, so now that you've apparently made the same error, look for the 'front' markings on each gasket before putting them on the block.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts