DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Intrepid has developed what I thought was a rear main seal leak. I usually do all my own work on my cars but I just didn't have the time to do such a big job right now so I farmed it out to a friend who works at a mechanics shop. After removing the transaxle assembly, he discovered that the rear main seal was fine, it was the metal aluminum case that was leaking. The impregnated seal across the bottom of the case had become hard and brittle and now was allowing oil to pass by.

The local Mopar dealer said the seal on the case was not available but he had a steel one in stock that should work. Well the seal locations weren't exactly the same but my friend said I will try it and use RTV sealer as well. After putting it back together, it was still leaking but not as bad as before. Mopar America has a seal and I ordered it but the replacement casting is now made of plastic. It is in a MOPAR bag so it is genuine and what is listed in their catalog as the current replacement.

Has anyone run into this problem and do you have a suggestion? The way I see it is we could either put the new plastic seal in and try it or the old aluminum cast one and put RTV on it. I'm not sure about how long the plastic one will hold up. On the other side, my friend won't guarantee that the aluminum case seal with RTV will hold up either.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
18,332 Posts
There was discussion of the problem with the unavailability of the original seal in a few threads some years ago. IIRC, the all-metal seal was all that was available, and it was advised to seal it as best as you could with RTV, which I think was generally successful. Perhaps this third iteration with the plastic piece is a proper design. Not sure if anyone here was aware of the existence of the new part prior to this thread.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Peva, the way my buddy explained it to me, the all metal seal had roughly 1/16 less depth to it compared to the original. He tried putting in more RTV to make up the difference and let it sit overnight. Unfortunately that didn't do the trick. He's going to try and put this one in Wednesday, I'll let everyone know how this seal fits and if the problem was hopefully solved.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the update after my buddy worked on the car, he put the new seal in the back of the engine and it seems to be working well. However it seems like the transmission also has a slight leak. He put fluorescent dye in and you could see it also leaking out of the front pump seal. Only good thing I can say is that the transmission is out of the car anyway but now I have to wait for the transmission shop put in a new seal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He also changed out the oil pan seal on the engine and found this inside. It's definitely metal and it got chewed up in something, I have no idea what this could have come from. The engine doesn't make any strange noises and runs great. Any thoughts?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts