DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my 3.2L swap in my Intrepid. I've been smelling antifreeze and there are no puddles. I finally found the cause, I thought. I thought it was leaking at the coolant temperature sensor, either the threads or from the sensor itself, but upon a closer looking it is leaking from behind the coolant sensor, like theres a crack I can't see. What is the part it screws into and what am I in for replacing/fixing that? I am on my second engine swap in this car, and almost 250,000 miles total on it. It looks like a nightmare. :blowup:

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,432 Posts
The coolant sensor threads into the lower intake manifold. Check the heater pipe O-ring under the manifold; it may be leaking. It is just behind the coolant sensor and is not visible easily with the manifold installed. You will have to remove the manifold to replace this; so that covers the intake manifold gasket itself leaking; That is about all that is in that area, other than the bleeder screw, which will not normally leak, unless it has been overtightened or damaged.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You nailed it. I tore it apart today and the O Ring is destroyed. The gaskets all looked fine but I’m replacing them anyway. Thank you, I’m glad it wasn’t a crack.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know what size that oring should be? I have a kit and none seem to be a good fit, and if I take it somewhere I’m not sure since it’s pretty depleted that it will get matched correctly.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,432 Posts
Do you know what size that oring should be? I have a kit and none seem to be a good fit, and if I take it somewhere I’m not sure since it’s pretty depleted that it will get matched correctly.
I had to match the last one up.

They have discontinued the O-ring from Dodge and make you update the pipe to a newer style; match up an o-ring to the pipe and use some grey RTV on it when putting it back together and it wont leak again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a gasket kit that came with one, it was square instead of round. It was a really tight fit but I got it in there. After installing the fuel rails I tested my fuel system... Now my injector orings need replaced. Doh!!!!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,432 Posts
I got a gasket kit that came with one, it was square instead of round. It was a really tight fit but I got it in there. After installing the fuel rails I tested my fuel system... Now my injector orings need replaced. Doh!!!!
Yep the new one is square cut and the updated pipe has a different flange on it.

As long as it doesnt leak and you put some sealant on there you should be good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got my injector orings today and put it all back together. Started it up and it runs like trash. I got a check engine light for P0123 and P0113. Looks like IAT and TPS. As far as I can tell every connector is connected and every hose is hooked up except one wire that comes off the harness for the two sensors on the throttle body. It is a two prong female plug. If my memory serves that was never plugged in after my swap. The engine did level out after a few seconds but still doesn’t sound right, and worse now I have what sounds like valve train knocking. I killed the engine immediately when I heard it. I hope it’s related to the sensors throwing errors and I didn’t really screw my engine up somehow just changing gaskets because of a stupid O ring. I was very careful. I checked the oil and I don’t see antifreeze. Maybe I should drain it to be safe. If there’s antifreeze then something is obviously really wrong.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it’s going to be ok. I disconnected the battery and left the computer clear out and started it back up and it seemed better and no knocking. I started freaking out when I heard that, I guess it was just running so poorly the engine was knocking. What a job for such a trivial (important) part. Thanks for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts