DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2000 Intrepid and had to do a swap. The 2.7L had to go and was replaced with a 3.2L. However, I kept the 2.7L ECU.

Now my battery light comes on after driving for 5-10 minutes and various electric items in the car flicker or the brightness changes sporadically.

I realize this could be a number of different issues, but I suspect that the amps were different on the 2.7L than the 3.2L and the ECU settings may have set a limit on that.

Has anyone else (preferably those familiar with this swap) experienced similar issues?

If so, what did you do to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,461 Posts
This likely is nothing to do with the ECU. 2.7 ECU will not regulate voltage any differently then the other ECUs.

Check the battery cable connections and test the battery first. If all is well there, have the alternator checked, and check the wiring and connections too it.

A bad battery or weak connection somewhere will cause the lights to flicker, as will a bad alternator. I ve had a couple cars with the light flicker issue, and it was always the battery or the connections at it. Let us know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts
Are the headlights flickering or just the interior lights? If interior lights *only*, is this the classic "light show" problem (interior light dimmer switch issue)? As 32 said - check electrical connections - especially the battery posts and the positive and negative jump posts (by the jump posts, I don't mean the battery posts - I mean the jump posts). Check the condition of the green fusible link that connects the battery and the alternator.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Are the headlights flickering or just the interior lights? If interior lights *only*, is this the classic "light show" problem (interior light dimmer switch issue)? As 32 said - check electrical connections - especially the battery posts and the positive and negative jump posts (by the jump posts, I don't mean the battery posts - I mean the jump posts). Check the condition of the green fusible link that connects the battery and the alternator.
What is this "light show" thing all about my lights came on the other day while I was driving for no reason and then one shut off then the other then one came back on. But since then I haven't had a single problem.

When I first got my car the jump post was loose and it made all of the lights in my cluster kind of flicker and when it got worse the battery light would flicker on and off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.