DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i.e. 93greenES's pics are the dirty motor pics...hopefully this will end the every 3rd day intake thread :)

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
lol 3 replies and 32 views

wow people, go do this mod, its easy and it makes it sound a lot better. not much if anything for speed....maybe like 2-3 hp, but im happy with it

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
The intake Pipe (spectre) costs $42.00 with tax from autozne and filters range in price from $30-$60 depending on which one you get. mine cost $32 or $36 i think and it came with a heatshield on it (lol but i got lucky and someone got it for christmas for me :D)

The benifits are a serirously sick sound coming from your engine, and also a SLIGHT increase in Torque and HP

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
ive been sitting on this for a while Mav, but the intake tube is by a brand named SPECTRE, not Spectra....

I only point that out because ive seen a company called Spectra that ade gaskets or something.

·
Registered
18 Posts
this mod is begining to really interest me. a few questions before i'm sold. how often does the cone filter need to be changed? more or less than the stock replacement? would it be a good idea to patch the hole in the side where the old intake hose was attached? also, if i go with the intake tube, where will the cone filter rest? (meaning what will be under it) this sounds really cool. thanks to whomever for taking the time to post it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
oh, one last thing. the heatshield. what is it? where does it go? and what does it do?

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
elriverlives said:
this mod is begining to really interest me. a few questions before i'm sold. how often does the cone filter need to be changed? more or less than the stock replacement?
more, all cone filters attract more dirt simply because they are open and exposed

I usually clean my K&N once a year

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
elriverlives said:
oh, one last thing. the heatshield. what is it? where does it go? and what does it do?
a heatshield is used to prevent the cone filter from drawing in hot engine air

on my intakes I build a full aluminum heatsheild wall, on mav's example above his heatsheild is the blue plastic sheild around his cone filter

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Joes Heatshield style will work a little better because the filter is not as restricted by the plastic around it. you can tell where the filter will rest just by looking at the pix. if your talking about that breather hole on the valve cover, i say put a breather on it, you will need to go to an autoparts store and ask for a 25mm clamp on breather.

·
Registered
18 Posts
what do you about the tubues that run into the air box after you remove the box? completley remove them or just leave them alone? i belive there are two on the bottom and two on the side that plug into the conce attached to the box.

·
Registered
18 Posts
conce=cone

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
oh you mean that little canister? all i did was zip tie it to another cable that was in there so it sits in there right, if you do this though make sure it is not upside down otherwise the car will start throwing codes and the CEL will come on. if you need i can get a picture for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mav,
yes, any pictures would be great. isn't there a tube also beneath the OEM filter box? did you leave those open? does anything need to be capped?

thanks a lot for your time and the orginal how-to post

·
Registered
603 Posts
which of the mods creates a better sound, the one with just the reactive filter and its heatshield or the mod with the spectre pipe and the reactive filter with its heatshield?

·
Registered
603 Posts
well, im interested in both, but, noise is my thing, i got an alpine system and its really loud, but the car itself can't be heard, once i can annoy some of my neighbors i'll tune it so i can have both more performance and the same good sound from the intake. as for exhaust, i will do that after christmas, right now i just need to figure out what to do with the intake. So for now, i need the best sound from the intake. which mod of intake would be better for sound?

·
Registered
603 Posts
hey 3.3 owners!!!!!!
i got the APC civic intake from walmart for $50 and im very happy cuz i didn't spend a lot f money getting everything separate by doing the spectre intake.
with this APC civic intake i definitely notice a gain in power (when i get onto the expressway from a toll traffic can't catch up to me anymore) and there's a very agressive sound coming from the engine. The noise actualy overpowered the noise of the air being sucked in, and when sometime when i get off the gas a hear a sudden hiss(sometimes loud and sometimes low) which makes it sound like it has a blowoff valve or waste gate from a turbo.
Im still not sure whether that hiss is created by the intake or the breather (APC, also from walmart) that I put in place of the hose coming from the intake tube. but i love it

1 - 20 of 31 Posts