DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going out to lunch with a few friends and the one girl owns a 3100 older chevy lumina. A girl riding with me called a girl riding in the lumina and they suggested we race. I certainly wasn't going to say no :) Got onto a 2 lane road and we both started out at around 20mph, looked at each other and nodded to go. I floored it and surprisingly she kept up, being a girl I thought she wouldn't push it hard:p Got it up to about 75 and she was back maybe 2 car lengths. I thought it would have been closer or her possibly even winning cause I thought the 3100's had about 165 hp and its probably lighter too....anyways though, theres one of the few cars a 3.3 can beat:p :D u

·
Registered
9 Posts
if it was the old bodied Lumina, it only had the 3.1 MPI, not the 3100 SFI, which wouldve handed you your ass on a platter. The 3.1 MPI was, at best, a ship anchor. They had so many problems with intake gaskets and such that back in 1994 the 3100 was introduced in a few N-Body cars. The 3100 didn't arrive in the lumina till 1995. The 3.1 MPI made anywhere from 135-145 hp depending on the application, and it's power curve was so radical that at 5000 RPM's it was only making about as much power as it was making at idle. SUpposedly though, the Euro Lumina 3.1 was able to get a time of 9.8 in the 0-60, which is much better than I originally thought it was capable of. The newer versions with the 3100 are capable of 8.8-9.2 in the 0-60. The monte carlos are even better with a 0-60 time of 7.8. The 3.3 could beat a Taurus 3.0L vulcan though very easily. They're so gutless. I just got done driving a friends today to school and it seemed like on the freeway i needed to floor it to speed up fast enough.

·
Banned
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it definintely was the 3.1 MPI then...I talked to her at school yesterday and she said she had it floored the entire time and I beat her very easily. My friend has a 95 z26 beretta with the 3100 SFI and it isn't even close when we race...he's off by 2 car lengths at 40 and just keeps walking...

·
Registered
712 Posts
caveman said:
if it was the old bodied Lumina, it only had the 3.1 MPI, not the 3100 SFI, which wouldve handed you your ass on a platter. The 3.1 MPI was, at best, a ship anchor. They had so many problems with intake gaskets and such that back in 1994 the 3100 was introduced in a few N-Body cars. The 3100 didn't arrive in the lumina till 1995. The 3.1 MPI made anywhere from 135-145 hp depending on the application, and it's power curve was so radical that at 5000 RPM's it was only making about as much power as it was making at idle. SUpposedly though, the Euro Lumina 3.1 was able to get a time of 9.8 in the 0-60, which is much better than I originally thought it was capable of. The newer versions with the 3100 are capable of 8.8-9.2 in the 0-60. The monte carlos are even better with a 0-60 time of 7.8. The 3.3 could beat a Taurus 3.0L vulcan though very easily. They're so gutless. I just got done driving a friends today to school and it seemed like on the freeway i needed to floor it to speed up fast enough.
If im not mistaken, "mpi" is the same system as "spfi", just a different name, and an updated-appearance upper plenum.....your horsepower figures are correct, as they did raise the hp over the years. The modern day 3.1 makes about 165-170 hp, as in the Malibu/Cutlass. As for the Euro Lumina, it was just a suspension and trim package, just the same way the Celebtity Eurosport was. I dont believe there was any extra power under the hood, but possiblyhad a slightly better axle ratio, though I doubt it.

Just about any GM car with a stock 3.1 is a 17 second car, so they pretty much dont stand a chance against most Intrepids.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
17 secs comes close to 3.3L intrepids, no competition for 3.5L's

·
Registered
415 Posts
DON'T EVER take girls lightly in a race! Believe it or not, they bullshit a whole lot less than we do. I've told the story before of how I beat one of my girl friends (just a friend) in her Ranger. She for damn sure had that ***** floored the whole time, but my 3.5L still beat her. She didn't pussy out at over 100 either, she had to be doing 100+ to catch up with me when I slowed down to 95. Chicks are also more fun to rub it in:devil:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts