DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some leaks from underneath both valve covers and was planning on replacing them. Got the gaskets, checked the manual and... seems like this is a much longer job then I have anticipated. With all the plenum related disconnects, fuel rail etc, it will definitely take some time... at least so it looks.

What would be the fastest /easiest way to replace those gaskets, any known shortcuts?
Hayes manual says nothing about plenum gasket, do I need one?
Any suggestions welcome. I searched the forum for similar subjects but the results were partial, never got the full story.
Thanks.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
You will need to get an upper intake gasket. It is like $2.00 at Auto Zone. When I changed mine I didn't compleatly disconnect the fuel rail just unbolted it from the intake and put it out of the way. other than that it is quite easy I think it took me about an hour maybe less it has been almos two years since I did them. Also I unbolted the EGR tube from the exhaust manafold and left the other end on the plemuem it was alot easier. If you want to diconnect the rail it is easy to do just get a 10MM open end wrench and push down on the plastic disconnect and they will just pop out. and to connect them just push them on the rail till they click, and you cant mix them up cause they a differant sizes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so as I understand you have not disconnected all the linkages and wires from the plenum (and whatever else it's called), just the ones that stood in the way... I'll get the plenum gasket, wasn't sure about that. Rail is not an issue really, plenum and what is between it and air filter is... Looked really simple at first but all the cover bolts are down below, makes things harder. Thanks for the guidance.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Sorry I should have said you do have to compleatly remove the plemum (all the wires, vacum hoses, and throtle cabels) It is not that hard really. I also forgot to say that when you remove the plenum to loosen the bolts oppsit of the tighting sequince. your haynes manual should tell you what it is. this way you reduse the change of worping the plenum. and you do have to unbolt the fuel rail from the lower intake, but the lines comming to it are steel braided so they are flexiable you can just put it on top of the passenger valve cover when you are working on the drivers side and vice versa.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, that's what I suspected but hoped won't be necessary. Not that it's difficult but time consuming... well, Monday I'll get the gasket so possibly Tuesday I'll get it done. You'd think replacing the gaskets should be like 45 min. ... looks like good couple of hrs now... Thanks.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
You dont need to pull the plenum. I've done mine twice now and I havn't pulled the plenum either time. You need to undo the EGR tube on the bottom of the plenum, pull the accordian tube, and pull out the four bolts, then you can lift the plenum out of the way, there are a couple of lines that are easy to pull that will give you more room. Other than that there are four bolts holding the fuel rail down you can pull it up and out of the way. Then there are eight bolts on each valve cover, you will probably need a deep well 10mm socket to get a few of the bolts out but I didn't so you might be able to also. You can get the driver's cover out without removing the coil bracket it just takes a little effort. It took me probably an hour tops.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think now I got the idea what to expect. The only thing I'm missing is the plenum gasket. Too bad the manual didn't say it outright as it would have saved me a trip to a dealer. I've seen some European manuals (Haynes alike) list parts needed, tools required, bolt sizes so you can ensure ahead of time that you have everything, expected time of repair etc. How difficult is that? They know what their market is (casual mechanics) and could design the book accordingly... but that would require some thinking (makes you tired...).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts