DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I start my engine after a day of no use, it'll rapidly clack and tap or *knock*, until you give it a rev or two and all noises will cease.

I would say it sounds like it's dry starting. I've shoved a liter of Lucas in it last oil change about five hundred miles ago. Not that I think it's related but I do have an exhaust leak where the manifold and converters mate to correct (possible back pressure issue and valves?).

To say I'm concerned would be an understatement. Any thoughts?

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
What brand oil filter is installed?

Mine does that briefly at startup if I haven't driven mine in a day or two. But ceases almost immediately as oil gets back up in the heads. I attributed it to high miles though. Engine is just getting worn...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Both of mine will make noise after sitting for a few days. I run a over-sized oil filter (Purolator L30001)

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
I only mention the oil filter since some have been known to have crappy anti-drainback valves... some get tapping at every startup. Ick.

I've had the fewest issues since switching to the OE MO-090.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Same here. I switched back to the M-090 (from the Purolator 30001)
and get much less startup noise. Almost no tapping at all.

The 98 3.2 only has 67k on it but it was pretty noisey at startup for 1 - 1.5 seconds.
The 03 3.5 with 108k only had a little noise.

I really noticed the difference with the 98. It's a much quieter start.

I'll stick with the M-090 for now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using a Mopar filter purchased at Dodge, last digit 32 I believe all I can recall; I would assume they give me the right filter - lol.

The noises will quit quickly, but not immediately, about 200,000km on the motor.

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
the right mopar filter is M-090,, walmart $5.95,, it really does make things quiet

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you say right, you mean the FSM suggested filter or right as in what has been proven to be the "right" one? Blown away and not that Dodge employee's and the systems give me the wrong filter. LOL!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
my '95 ES 3.5 sometimes knocks (then again we need the proper oil) and my dad says it sounds like the lifters being loud. I heard it for the second time a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152670

I'm going to be taking the top end off my 3.5 to see if this is applicable to the LH. There's a good chance that it is considering the 3.5 in the lx uses the same rocker arm assembly as our cars.
Interesting read for sure... Nice to see our heads are that freaking easy to work on and repair.

I did notice that the rocker arms will slide along the dowel when I had the valve covers off, figured it was normal to a degree.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts