DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked under my 2002 ES to take a look to see if the rear ending I got yesterday did any damage to my car, I found no damage but I did find something really strange.

My exhaust system has a large pipe from the engine to the muffler, but the pipe exiting the muffler to the resonator is MUCH smaller and is not mandrel bent. It seems really wierd that DCX would spend all that cash on a nice exhaust only to restrict it badly at the end.

Ther real questions here are: Why did DCX do this? How much does this hurt MPG and power? And, if so, how much to get a mandrel piece to fit it?

Does the R/T have the same thing or is this an ES handycap? 300m, LHS and Concorde LXi owners, what do you see?

We may have a new cheap power upgrade! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Mine's massive all the way back with a monster round (not oval) chrome tip. All factory original.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
look again, you will have the restriction if you have OEM exhaust, all 3.2/3.5 cars have it

this is the bend he is talking about

I wouldn't go through the hassle of removing just this one piece, instead save your money and do an aftermarket performance muffler setup in the future

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I'll be damned, have to take a look tonight. Oh, I believe you... I haven't been under that part of the car, but I know the exhaust is still the OEM set up so it must be the same.

Somebody thought it was a great idea to save a frickin' nickle and we all get a kinked exhaust ?!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
JoeKD said:
... designed by the same geniuses who put a ground strap on the exhaust piping
Cheese & Rice... lol.

So many engineers, so few trains...

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Yep, they are all the same, including the Special left side. Interestingly though, the right side is not only mandrel bent, but is attached to the centre muffler with a flanged fitting instead of the slip fitting that the left side has.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
JoeKD said:
I wouldn't go through the hassle of removing just this one piece, instead save your money and do an aftermarket performance muffler setup in the future
:fun_08:
Joe's right - I can't see that making a big difference. Save your money for a real upgrade ...

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Get rid of the bent pipe and rear res, sure it will flow better and sound a lot better i did it on my 94 cord 3.5 put duel 3inch ss tips. not quite wife approved so its ok!

·
Registered
425 Posts
JoeKD said:
the kink was put there to add clearance for the rear suspension, I'm sure it was designed by the same geniuses who put a ground strap on the exhaust piping
After I got my new exhaust installed, I noticed that strap just hangin there.

What is it supposed to ground?

Right now, it is just tucked up over a pipe so it's not flyin around.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Help me choose a muffler!

I'm now thinking about simply upgrading the muffler now. I'll upgrade the main muffler and either upgrade or remove the last resonator. The problem is, I have no idea what muffler to get or where to get mandrel bent pipe.

I'm looking for that subtle rumble, not too loud, but not almost silent like my current exhaust. I want a smile on my face when I put it on, you know, not asking my self "what have I done?" after I find out it's too loud, and I also want a full bodied sound, not raspy or droning.

I want a person with a bit of mechanic experience to know that I've worked on my car just by listening to it, but I don't want everyone to know I've worked on my car, if you know what I mean. Stealthy performance is a beautiful thing and I'm not about to ruin the surprise that I have for the local high school rice burners! (most have NO IDEA how quick a 3.5 is compared to a 1.6 civic!)

I guess it goes without saying: I don't want that redneck truck sound or that GOD AWFUL ricer sound, anything but the ricer sound!

Oh, last question: How restrictive are the resonators? Should I keep the one that's just after the cats?

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
The strap is there to ground the exhaust system at the back near the gas tank. Wouldn't want a static discharge at the wrong moment! :eek:

As for your muffler dilemma - I've got a Flowmaster Delta 40 on mine. Here's a link to my exhaust thread ...
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38734

You can get mandrel bent tubing at several of the muffler companies ...

http://www.dynomax.com/ (Products/Accessories/Build Your Own.pdf)
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/ (Accessories)
http://www.magnaflow.com/01home.asp (Products/American Muscle/Hardware)

Or you can ask around at the local muffler shops - many of them carry stuff like that, too ...

·
Registered
851 Posts
hardwareguy said:
(most have NO IDEA how quick a 3.5 is compared to a 1.6 civic!) [

QUOTE]

i know ive been through this already but my 1.6 liter civic si is just as quick as my r/t....in fact si posts quicker 0-60 times and lower 1/4 mile times stock than the r/t in most publications. that being said -yes the 3.5 is quicker than an ex or lx or hx.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts